Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wont Turn On...again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lcplsexton

lcplsexton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:02 PM

Okay I posted about this a while back, but put my build on the backburner for a bit.

My machine won't turn on. It started with a power outage. When I would press the power button, nothing would happen at all. After 2 RMA'd mobo's and a new CPU (AMD X2 4400+), I figured the old 500W PSU was fried, as the machine worked perfectly for a few months prior to the outage.

Anyway, I just got a new 580W Hiper modular PSU, installed it, hooked up everything (loooove the modular cabling, as a side note), made sure all connections were good, made sure the mobo was not grounded, checked all the jumpers, capacitors, fan plugs, etc...and now the fans try to spin and the LED's flash when I press the power button, but nothing else.

A rundown of the equipment, other than the aforementioned:

MoBo - ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Case - Coolermaster with 3 80mm fans and blue LED's
Vid Card - EVGA nVidia GeForce 6800GT 256MB PCI-E x 16
Sound Card - Soundblaster Audigy 2.0
HDD - Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB
RAM - G.SKILL PC3200 2GB (4 x 512MB)
Optical Drives - ASUS QuietTrack CD-ROM/RW, CompUSA DVD-ROM (cheap, I know)
OS - Windows XP Home SP2
Monitor, keyboard, mouse are all basic...but I figured they wouldn't impact power problems anyway.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by lcplsexton, 07 January 2007 - 09:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

I'd suggest a multimeter and start testing at the wall socket all the way back to the system (to include the output of the PSU).

Remove as many devices/parts as you can before trying to start it up - that'll eliminate many of the parts as possible causes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lcplsexton

lcplsexton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Sgt Major...but that didn't work either. I've tried checking the voltage and amperage for the outlet, and the PSU, both checked out fine. I also tried a different outlet. I also removed everything including the video card, even the CPU and heatsink...but the fans spin one revolution, the LED's blink...and nothing else. Should I consider RMA-ing the motherboard a 3rd time? Thanks!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

Don't let the clock run out on the RMA - but try another few things first! Motherboards do funny things without a PSU, CPU, RAM, and a Video card - everything else is not essential to the boot (in general).

We'll presume that PSU is good since it's the second one that you've tried and you've checked it's output.

We'll assume that the CPU is good (tenatively) since there's no easy way to check this unless you have a spare CPU laying around.

We'll assume that the mobo is good (tentatively also) since you've RMA'd it before - and still have the same problems.

So, let's focus on the RAM and the video card. Here's a link to a mini-guide on Hardware troubleshooting: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/

Test the memory with this free memory tester. Follow the directions exactly and let the test run for 2 or 3 passes (overnight is better). Any errors indicate a problem with your RAM. If a problem occurs, try the sticks alone and in different combinations to narrow it down some. Here's the link: http://www.memtest86.com/

Testing the video card involves finding another, known good video card that will fit into the slots in your system - any will do as long as you've got a slot for it (AGP, PCI, PCIe). Maybe you can borrow one from a friend, or from another system that you have access to. Make sure that, when you put the card back, that you boot the system it was borrowed from to be sure that it works!

BTW - I was with the 8th Marines at LeJeune in the late 70's, early 80's (as a Hospital Corpsman)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

It sounds like a power problem. Either a short or problems with the supplied power. Have you checked that the power cables are really tightly connected? Loose connections will cause resistance and that is a Bad Thing, and has sometimes been a problem with modular powers supplies.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users