Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghosting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimbob

jimbob

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:44 PM

Lets start with what I want to do, then maybe someone can fill me in on what I CAN do. haha.

Currently, I have (2) Maxtor 60 gig HD's. The first one is partitioned into 3 drives C: OS (XP pro), D: programs, E: games. The second one is for storage only. This all runs on a P4C800E deluxe MB with 3.2 prescott. I just bought a 160 gig Seagate SATA HD with NCQ, which should be here next week.

What I want to do: I want to replace the OS 60gig HD with the new one. I will partition the new one at least 3 times and use the (2) 60's for storage only. I want to Ghost C:, D:, and E: onto the new drive. I would like it to keep the integrity\pathways of the programs and games from drive to drive. I want to know the best way of going about doing this. I've never done this before and thought I'd get some professional opinions from someone who has. What program does it best and any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Should I just start from scratch with a fresh install of XP? Any and all comments are welcome.

David

Edited by jimbob, 30 December 2004 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:34 PM

What I would do is make an image of your c: drive only. Then when you get the new sata drive, create the partition you want for the c: drive and restore the image to that c: partition.

Then manually make the d: and e: drives and manually copy the data from the other hard drive to that one.

Done

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:27 PM

Sounds like a plan!

#4 jimbob

jimbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 06:39 PM

Thanks guys. Will moving the D: and E: drive data manually keep the programs connections\pathways with C:?

David

Edited by jimbob, 31 December 2004 - 06:41 PM.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:05 PM

As long as you copy the data from d: to a new d: partition and the data from e: to a new e: partition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users