Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Box. No Problems...yet!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

Hello.

I'm shortly to take delivery of a new ( Dell factory outlet ) machine with the following:

"DELL E520 computer
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13Ghz) processor
1024 MB DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA hard disk - 7200RPM
DVD+-RW 16x drive
10/100 network
56k modem
Dedicated NVidia GeForce 7300 TurboCache PCI express 256MB graphics with DVI/VGA
Integrated 7.1 audio
8 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front)
UK keyboard & mouse
Windows XP Media Centre 2005 & MS works with COA supplied with backup & driver Cds
Dimensions: (cm) H:41, W 18.8, D: 43.8
As new & boxed (Dell cancelled order factory outlet sealed stock)"

I retain my two 17" AOC LM729 DVI monitors and my 250Gb external HDD, keboard and trackball, etc. I will also run NOD32 a/v, ZoneAlarm f/w, and assorted anti-spyware.

I'm not into gaming ( too old and slow ), am into simple GIS and photo-survey apps, weather forecasting and photo-imaging software. I also like to rotate my monitors 'landscape-to-portrait' when working with documents side-by-side, which my existing ATI RADEON 7000 card - with Catalyst V.6.11 - does quite well. So I'll be looking to change the nVidia built-in graphics card above, to a better one that also will run these two DVI monitors in both orientations. Suggestions, please?

A bit later, I'm slowly explore what I might be able to do with the 'Media Centre' aspects of the OS, and I'm sure I'll run into shoal waters there..... Thoughts?

I'd also like to ask forum members about problems I'm likely to encounter *before* I trip over them, and pointers to solutions.

Howzat?

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

i had a bit of a problem with my new PC, although it isnt from dell, it has an onboard sound card that could cause problems to show up for almost no reason. in my case, theres no sound when the speakers r connected to the back but the sound works fine when connected to the front. i have an old PC that also had an onboard sound card but it never had any problems. so if your PC all of a sudden has no sound, even when updating drivers and such wont work, try connecting it to the front until you can solve the problem.

oh a btw welcome to bleeping computer

#3 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:33 AM

I think it all looks good and even that video card seems fine for mid ranged gaming and everything you need to do. But if you need the 2 Dvi ports, both ATI(amd) and Nvidia have have good, new solutions. A good list here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=

I haven't used ATI for a while, but if you do go with nvidia, screen rotation is really easy. Right click on a taskbar icon thing and its right there (with latest drivers)

And if your getting it premade, I don't think you will run into too many problems. I know a lot of people here at BC severely hate Dell and probably have good reason to. But trying to upgrade and change Dell parts can be impossible or more trouble than its worth. Maybe consider a different company although you probably would be fine with a Dell.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

The main problem with the PC's is their use of proprietary parts - it makes replacing things very difficult. But there is a wealth of information available for them (which didn't used to be the case) - so most problems are easily fixed (although the solution may not be real elegant!)

For example - you can replace a Dell PSU with an ATX PSU - but it's gonna take more than a couple of screws! A co-worker recently did this by hacking the case apart where the power supply sits - and managed to make the Dell run with the ATX PSU. The customer hasn't come back - so I suspect it's still working.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

Well, it turned up this morning as planned. It works out of the box. I've stripped out all (?) the unwanted, pre-installed spam, and I'll progressively install various apps until my life is on this thing, rather than on the old PIII. There's a multi-card reader installed that wasn't advertised - which will be handy - so, all in all, I'm well pleased.

I reckon on pushing in some more RAM, once I indentify 'reliably' what flavour of DDR2 553 I need. I have 2 spare slots, and 2x512Mb installed - as you might expect. Question is - should I go for 2x1Gb, or 2X512Mb? What criteria should I use to determine this?

Oh, and I appreciate the guidance from forum members 'Slayer6571, nforce and usasma'.

So far, so good. Thanks, guys.

:thumbsup:

#6 ToDrag

ToDrag

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

Kudos, Bilbo
It's nice to get new, high-tech stuff. I just got a new ACER lap with similar specs to your box. It's super. You got a fine machine. For what it's worth, if it has half the courage of my old DELL laptop, you will have a great ride. I have an old Latitude 233, its about nine years old and still running. I think you could drop it in the mud and jump on it and it would still keep going. It's a sad site at this point, but working just fine. I think I'll have it bronzed and put it in a place of honor when it finally gives it up. I hope your desktop DELL is just a hearty. Enjoy and have good times with it, and Happy New Year, also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to thee, these three: love, joy & the blues

#7 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

EEEP! Bilbo Baggins!!! HERE... on this site...wow...

doesn't really matter which\how much ram you get... just as long as its compatible. I would read the manual and stuff. Maybe it only supports up to 2gigs with only 512mb sticks? or 4gigs with 4 1gig sticks? But even if you could get more ram, 2gigs is plenty, and there can be problems if you get too much (remember from some of usasma past posts). And if you are going to get a new video card, you might need a new psu. But since it is already coming with a pretty good one, they might have upped the psu anyway.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:36 PM

Today at work we had 2 problems involving mixing of RAM - one was an HP and the other was a Compaq.

On the HP - the owner mixed the stock RAM (Nuanua or something similar) with Kingston - and got BSOD's in Photoshop. We mixed and matched the 3 sticks until we finally figured that it was the mix - not the RAM or the system!

Then the Compaq comes up with similar problems (unmarked stock RAM and PNY for the mix). We switched to another brand and all was well.

On both systems MemTest and our PCCheck software didn't show any problems even with dissimilar RAM installed - yet the BSOD's persisted.

So, for the immediate future at least, I'd suggest that you stay with the same brand of RAM that was initially in the system (to avoid problems).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

I've followed the consensus of advice from here, and acquired another 1Gb of the correct DDR2 RAM, from Crucial here in the YooKay. I treble-checked with their on-line advisor, their telephone advisor, then on a subsequent day, with another telephone advisor. The product, just a leet'l more expensive than the cheapest, was fine. And it's guaranteed for lifetime. I'm content. Thanks, guys.

Now for the rest of the job.....

Edited by bilbobaggins, 17 February 2007 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users