Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore In Me Permanently Disabled.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kik

kik

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

I have discovered that my System Restore in ME is disabled. No matter what I do the check mark pops back against "Disable System Restore" in Troubleshooting. I read that if I don't have the 200 MB minimum in my 'Windows drive' for the Data Store for System restore, then the default is the Disable mode. Another symptom is that I can't adjust the slide for allowing the amount of storage to System Restore. Any advice please on the steps to follow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

How much free space is left on the hard drive?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 kik

kik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:31 PM

My 40GB hard drive is 10.1 GB used and 37.2 GB free.

#4 kik

kik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

Sorry - what a blooper. The numbers should be 10.1 GB used and 27.1 GB free.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

When was the last time you used WinME's System Restore?

Did you ever install the update to fix the Sept. 8th., 2001 System Restore issue?

Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not restore your computer
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 kik

kik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

I'd say I last used the System Restore about a month ago. (Since then I 've installed a major software switch to our HP 3-in-1 PSC. It amazed me how many MB it was.) System Restore has always worked fine as far as I could see, with restore points to choose from. Today I got the message that there were no restore points stipulated. That led me to finding the System Restore Disabled being checked.

I'm positive I installed the patch you mention, not only because SR has always worked OK, but also because I religiously checked Windows for updates every couple of weeks (until last July).

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

Found on the web here:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme/1088796590

First, make sure *StateMgr is still enabled in your MSCONFIG Startup list. It
>is what drives System Restore. Necessary.
>

As you have disabled it and and are having trouble with it, all the files in the
>_Restore area are now no longer valid, so it would be a good idea to delete all of
>them. Using the Troubleshooting tab to disable System Restore should work and delete
>all of the files, but if some of the critical ones are corrupted this does not work.
>

Make sure you have the Windows ME Updates from Microsoft. One of them is a fix
>for problems with System Restore.
>

Then use a Windows ME boot diskette to boot the system to a real mode DOS prompt.
>Use the DELTREE C:\_RESTORE command to remove the whole system restore folder.
>Then reboot into normal mode, and do a ScanDisk and DEFRAG to check the system and
>pack the disk drive space. Then check that Restore is enabled in the Troubleshooting
>tab. You should then be able to go to the System Restore program in System Tools
>and set a manual restore checkpoint.

Edited by buddy215, 06 January 2007 - 10:44 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users