Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nismo44

Nismo44

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Hello.
i have a problem with my PC. It just doesn't work anymore :D
well, i'll explain..
I wanted to Format a harddrive, that wasn't mine. so i took the wires off my hard drive, but accidentally forgot to shut it down, before i unplugged the power wire. I didn't think it was much problem and i plugged the other hard drive.
when i turned on the computer, my monitor was still black and it only beeped..
three times and then there was a longer pause and then again beeped three times.
then i tried my harddrive, but still same beeping and no pic.
THEN i unplugged all hard drives and turned the PC on. Still beeped.
then i tryed removing graphics card and RAM, but didn't work.
so now i borrowed my cousin's PC, which doesn't have a working hard drive.
hard drive works properly, but i wonder what could be the problem with my PC and what caused it?
was it that i accidentally unplugged one wire before i shut the PC down?

I'd really appreciate any help!

(PS: i have another problem with audio drivers. i made a topic in Audio and Video. You can see it HERE)

Edited by Nismo44, 06 January 2007 - 03:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

Sounds like you shorted something out, most likely the ram. When i added new ram to my old computer i earthed my self first and had had the power off to the computer for a night but it still blew up the old ram taking the motherboard and the power pack with it. You always have to be very careful when opening your computer. Try another stick of working ram from another computer, it might get it working.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

I have lost numerous devices by forgetting to power down before removing something from the system.

In particular I've lost RAM and hard drives. The hard drive because I shorted out the PCB on the bottom with static electricity. The drive now sits on my desk as a reminder (they wanted $1600 to recover the data!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

im not very familiar with those frases actually :D

PCB:D?

but you really think that RAM is the problem?
the computer still beeped three times when i had removed RAM.

and my computer was opened :D i have changed hard drives many times..but this was the first time i accidentally forgot to shut the PC down first :D
although my hard drives are fine..

actually, my friend, the owner of the other hard drive (which i wanted to format) said that his hard drive doesn't work anymore..

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

Sorry, I get a bit carried away at times and go spouting off at the mouth! :thumbsup:

PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board - the green stuff with circuits on the bottom of the hard drive.

Frankly, I suspect that it's that the hard drive that is bad. Since you were working with it, that's the most likely place for it to happen. FWIW - when I fried my hard drive it was the first time I'd done that also. The key was that it was plugged in, that I touched it, and that it no longer worked.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

hmm..
how can the problem be in hard drive, when my hard drives are in another computer and they work properly.
however my computer doesn't work with or without hard drives..

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:22 PM

You've got a point (and I've got eyeball problems!) - if the hard drive works in another PC, then most likely it's not the problem.

But that makes it more likely that some other component is the problem. Did the beeps change when you removed the RAM and tried to boot it up? How many beeps do you get - and what company made your BIOS (or motherboard)?

Here's a free memory tester that you can burn to a floppy or to a CD and test your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/

#8 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

sorry for not posting before, but you guys were right at the beginning :D

actually the beeping was always the same...three times and then a longer pause and again three times (with about 1sec pause)

but when i inserted ram from my cousin's computer, then the PC worked!
so my 256mb on RAM is f***** up :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users