Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 walkercon

walkercon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

my lap top has to disk drives i.e. C & D
when i check the space via the properties my C is almost full D is empty.
when i want to save some information is says not enough disk space please clear

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

Could D: be your cd drive? If so, it does not hold any data like a hard drive does (C:). I kind of doubt that D: is another hard drive in your case as you said you have a laptop, and laptops typically have but one hard drive.

Oh, Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

Can you rightclick your "D-Drive "and select propperties to see what it is? I assume this would be your CD/DVD station.Could also be a seperate partition

What you first might want to do is to "clean up "your laptop.Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

a) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
:thumbsup: Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

Edited by fozzie, 06 January 2007 - 10:06 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

It may very well be that the C: drive holds your operating system and programmes and D: is designed to be used for data storage. If this is the case, you can most likely free up some space by moving data files from the C: to the D: drive. How large is each drive?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

Beware if the "empty" partition contains a recovery image file.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 06 January 2007 - 08:59 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Most commonly the D: drive on a laptop is the CD/DVD drive. Less commonly the D: drive will be used to store recovery data (don't mess with that!). Finally, some laptops come with more than one physical drive (the Toshiba Quosimo is one).

Basically the options for laptops are to install a larger drive and image the old one to the new one, or to use and external drive to save your data (thereby freeing up space on the internal drive).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

My IBM ThinkPad came configured with the hard drive partitioned into 2 partitions of equal size: C and D. This could be the case with your laptop also. Simply move your data files (photos, music, movies, etc) from the C drive to the D drive to free up more space on your C drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users