Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Dongles Do They Go Bad

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GrayGranny

GrayGranny

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

Only had 2 USB ports. One has my printer the other had my dongle for embroidery software that I use. Removed dongle to download pictures from camera. This was successful. Put dongle back in and computer did not recognize it. Tried reinstalling driver, driver couldn't find dongle that was plugged in. Tried rebooting with no success. Finally tried installing different motherboard that I had. While inserting P4 CPU the little "fasten down arm" broke off so I taped it down. Finally got everything hooked back up and got this message:

CMOS checkshum error- Defaults loaded
Warning! CPU has changed or CPU ratio change fail
Please re-enter CPU settings in CMOS setup and remember to save before quit

Unable to get into CMOS keyboard frozen, tried rebooting several times. Put everything back on original motherboard and tried to bring it up and got the same message.

Figured it must be CPU. Got new CPU and fan ..same results. Techs I am acquainted with advised that it was a bad memory stick. Got new memory stick. Now have new CPU, Fan, and memory stick..still get the same message!
HELP!!!!!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

Here's a link about CMOS errors: http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER08-c.html

Please restore everything to the way it was before you started - starting the computer with new hardware will confuse Windows and also may activate the Windows anti-piracy software (making you miserable since you'll be on hold for quite a while! :thumbsup:

Then go about fixing the CMOS error as described in the link above. If that doesn't work, please let us know and we'll suggest other options.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users