Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd -r And +r Images

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 waschneider

waschneider

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

I want to archive an image of a DVD that I made. I know that when I write to the DVD recorder, the DVD will be written as -R or +R depending upon the media in the drive. In the future, I want to use a DVD Iso image to write to DVD's. Is the Iso image of a DVD different if it was made from a -R or +R DVD? Can I just make an image from a -R DVD and then later write it back to a +R DVD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:32 AM

Why would you want to do that?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

You can write iso's to -R or +R drives (providing you have the software to do it). I don't see any benefit to mixing the - or + types and would stick with the same type for each task.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

When given the choice record using DVD+R. Although you may never notice a difference there are several technical reasons that DVD+R is superior to DVD-R, one of which is DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

Hi just me! I'm interested in reading more on this controversy. Have you got any links to articles that discuss the differences? Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

usasma:

Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W)
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-...-to-DVD-RW.html

DVD+R
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+R

Recordable DVD Fact Sheet
http://www.twindragonproductions.com/downl...vdfactsheet.pdf

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

Thanks just me! I've got some studying to do!

EDIT: Way cool links! The first one has given me a headache just reading it! More studying to do - but the point is obviously made as you originally stated . . . +R is best!

Thanks again!

Edited by usasma, 10 January 2007 - 12:44 PM.

#8 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

usasma:

The first reference is very technical the other two merely contain statements like:

There are a number of significant technical differences between the dash format and the plus format. One example is the ADIP system of tracking and speed control being less susceptible to interference and error than the LPP system used by DVD-R, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds. Also DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media. Additional session linking methods are quite a bit more accurate with DVD+R(W) versus DVD-R(W), resulting in fewer damaged or unusable discs due to buffer under-run and multi-session disks with fewer PI/PO errors.

Edited by just me, 10 January 2007 - 12:51 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

Actually, I'm fascinated by this statement in the first article:

Because they cannot access the technical details (or simply due to laziness), some people prefer to carefully conclude that there's no real technical difference between the two formats, and that if you forget all the marketing propaganda + and - are equally good. To me this is an evidence that such people have not understood (or more probably not even read) the format specifications.

Quite a blunt statement - but it may hold a grain of truth within it. This person obviously knows more about DVD creation that I'll ever understand.

What I'm looking for is a discussion of a comparison between the 2 formats - and it's real world implications for a user. Yes, +R is better - but will it matter to me as the user? If it will, will it only matter for poorly manufactured disks, or for all disks? Will it be more important for music, video, or data? Should I care about it for video and not care about it for data? etc, etc, etc. I'm hoping that article one will make the choice a bit more obvious - once I plow through the technical jargon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users