Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Turns Itself Off At Random, Goes Through Phases

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HAJiME

HAJiME

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Hey... again.

My mum's PC has a weird problem with it. Every so often, as in it may go months without doing it at all, it goes through a phase of turning itself off at random.

When you turn it back on, sometimes it won't even get as far as to boot up. It will constantly turn itself off for days on end as you struggle to get it working. Sometimes, though, it may go hours, or even days, weeks or even months without the problem reaccuring. You can be doing anything when it decides to turn off. But the fact that it does simply miliseconds after turning it on sometimes seems totally weird. When it does come back on, it's not awear that there was a problem. There is no log of the shut down ever occuring.

No one seems to know what the problem is, or have seen or heard anything like it before. Any knowledge on the matter?

Thanx,

Joey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fng

fng

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

as silly as this sounds, check your outlet make sure you have good contacts. also it could be a psu fixin to take a powder. I had a similar problem and it did take out my psu

#3 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

It might be the bad grammar, or that i'm just an idiot, but i have no idea what you just said.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:52 PM

Translation for our British cousin: check the electrical plug contacts to be sure they are clean and firmly in the outlet. It might be that your CPU is failing.

Be (translator) Safe,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

Heh, thanx for that. :thumbsup:

#6 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

Well, the comp recovered from it's phase. Brother said it's not the CPU and i don't know enough about the physical workings of a pc to know how to find out.

But it's started up again with the turning itself off jazz.

The reason i'm bumping this topic from the dead, is because now the comp has another problem!

I havn't seen the message myself, but aparently it's saying it's missing part of windows when you log on.

And, when i tried to turn it on today to have a look, i was greeted with this lovely bsod...

Posted Image

Of coruse, it's all MY fault... Mother went on holiday and returned to a broken computer. Despite the fact that i never touch it. Ever.

Edited by HAJiME, 14 June 2007 - 12:04 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

Here's a link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e

Since this is a continuation of previous problems, I'd lean towards it being either a driver or a hardware incompatibility (rather than just a driver issue). What new devices have you installed on your system around the first time that you started having problems?

For more info, I'd suggest you search your hard drive for .dmp or .mdmp files created around the time of this BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Once located, use this procedure to generate an analysis and post it here for us to look at: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:29 AM

It's not my computer. I don't use it. Those who do use it say that they havn't installed anything, but this could be a lie.

I can't get the computer on at the moment. It either turns right off again randomly (sometimes before start up, sometimes half way through tyring to do somthing... completely random timing) and sometimes because i'm getting the BSOD.

#9 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

Although BSOD errors are not normally a symptom, I would not discount what you are experiencing is a thermal shutdown due to the CPU overheating. Please consider cleaning the system. There is a tutorial on cleaning desktop computers here:

#10 HAJiME

HAJiME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:24 AM

Thank you. I'l check that out.

Also, my mums bf has now reinstalled a new version of windows he bought. Because he was confident that was the problem. It's okay at the moment, the comp IS turning on properly now...

Coincidence? I don't see how it can possibly be software related.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:28 PM

Drivers are the (IME) primary reason for BSOD's - using the built in Windows drivers will avoid this, so the clean install would seem to fix it. Check the devices in Device Manager to make sure they're enabled.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users