Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vscom.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 juno152

juno152

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

Hi All
I hope ther is someone how can help me with this. A program called vscom is using up all my resourses when im starting my pc. I've been told its not a NICE program that i should get rid. I have tried to delete the file and i get a pop saying access denied. the file is in WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/ZONEALARM. Does any one have any suggestions? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:34 PM

VSCom.exe is associated with an antivirus program. I don't know which one. Could be McAfee, Norton or Zone Alarm if you have the Zone Alarm suite.
Can you right click on the file and check properties to get an idea of which program it is associated with?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

There's a bit of confusion out there on the net about this file, but it is more likely a part of Zone Alarm firewall that is misbehaving. See here: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/vsmon.exe.html

I've heard lately that the latest version of ZA conflicts with other security software, especially Norton antivirus. In order to get a clearer picture of what may be happening on your system, we need a bit more information.

1. What security software are you running? Mostly what antivirus and firewall?

2. What version are you running? This may be a known problem with an older version of Zone Alarm.

3. What operating system? Please confirm if you are running XP and if so do you have SP2 installed and that you have all patches up to date.

A malicious file can be named anything and they often take on names of legitimate programs. Checking a file's properties is a good idea but it still leaves some questions to my mind, so to be extra sure, upload the file at jotti and post back the results if anything suspicious is found: http://virusscan.jotti.org/

That site is very busy at times, so if need be you can try another similar service: http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

Are you sure it is vscom.exe or vscon.exe? How about vsmon.exe?

If vsmon.exe is located where you state it is then it is most probably a worm.

Zone Labs is monitoring WORM_RBOT based on a small number of infection reports. Despite the fact this worm has not reached high levels of infection rates, it does utilize the name of a Zone Labs executable (vsmon.exe) in order to confuse the computer user.

Read this: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer

Then post a Hijack This log here: HijackThis Logs and Analysis

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 06 January 2007 - 09:10 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users