Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Reg Cleaner!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:08 AM

What would be a decent free reg cleaner?I've been using one called Regcleaner and it hasn't been updated for a while.This cleaner was free and it still works(or it did the last time I used it).I basically used it to get rid of remnants of deleted files.I've heard of one called Regseeker but downloaded one yet.Thanks.I used it last winter to get ZASS properly uninstalled.However i am cautious over using programs like this. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

I'd try Ccleaner!!!!!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

And be VERY cautious about what you delete. Many registry cleaners, with all the best intentions in the world, will candidate files that are needed for applications to run correctly.
ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY! and understand where the cleaner stores the deleted files so that you can re-install them if needed.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

As John says - use caution when cleaning the registry. IMO the safest one is the one that Microsoft uses in it's Live scan ( http://safety.live.com/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:09 PM

sorri i should have mentioned that sorri!!!!!!

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:25 AM

Follow the below steps and you are OK

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

#7 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:53 AM

:thumbsup: The reason for this is i bought a Dell from a friend which was about 18 months old.When i ran apps and issues in ccleaner it has quite a list that doesn't remove.Should i be concerned over this?It's just that there is none in this area of my computer.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

try running inSafe Mode

#9 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

Yes i tried it last night.However it didn't do anything.There was 3 different accounts on it.Does this make a difference? :thumbsup:

#10 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

Is there a safe way to delete my old regcleaner4.3?I don't see it in add and remove and i can't find it in all programs.It"s in my documents.Can i delete it from there safely?then run ccleaner to finish getting rid of it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users