Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge Xp Drive And Slow Start Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sipickles

sipickles

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hello,

Its been a while since I've done a format of my C drive, which only contains Windows XP home.

After a clean reinstallation like this, my PC is super fast. Now, programs have been installed and uninstalled, hardware changed and stuff downloaded, and those speedy days are gone.

Normally, I would bite the bullet and reinstall windows on a clean C drive, then obviously have to go about reinstalling all my apps. yawn

Is there any way to avoid this? In particular, I am concerned by the swelling windows folder, and the hugely drawn out startup times.

Advice welcome

Simon :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:01 AM

Well, the easy solution is to bite the bullet one more time! :thumbsup:

Once you reinstall XP (and update it), then reinstall all of your "must have" apps (including antivirus, antispyware, and firewall software) and update all of it. Then do a Disk Cleanup and a Defragmentation.

Then use imaging software to create an "image" of your hard drive. I only have experience with Acronis True Image and I recommend it highly (but it's $50 US). Once you have the image, it's a simple matter to restore the image and you'll be back up and running within 20 minutes.

The issues here are that the image is made at a certain point - so anything that was done after that point won't be saved (and will be erased). This can be overcome using several different strategies for backing up or redirecting your data. FWIW - I redirect all my data/profiles/etc to a second drive - and include these redirections in my image.

Another problem is the size of the image. On most systems that I've tried it on, it takes up around 6 to 8 gB of space. So I'd suggest an external hard drive to store these images on (or a couple of DVD's). You won't want the images on the same hard drive if you can avoid it (should the hard drive crash, you won't have access to the images. FWIW - I keep my images on a separate hard drive also

You can also do incremental images - which give you the opportunity to "go back" to a certain point. While I don't like them (it's hard to tell exactly when a problem started), others do like them, so it's your choice.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:31 AM

Download and install AutoRuns. It will tell you what is configured to run at boot/login and will also let you disable anything you don't need.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

Perhaps it wuld be worth while to find out why your Windows folders is swelling. A nice and small tool for that is Treesize Download here
It gives detailed information on what is "slurping "your hard drive

#5 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:45 PM

If Windows is on its own partition its probably just as easy to do the reinstall as anything else.
To try to stop it getting this way again just make sure you do regular defrags, disk cleanups / CCleaner runs and go through your Add/Remove programs once in a while to clear out anything you dont use anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users