Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Ram

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Llawred

Llawred

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

Hello all,

I've come to this website before for help, and you guys and gals have been awesome, so I thought I'd try again. This time the problem is nowhere near as serious.

A few years ago I built a PC, but I only built it with 512MB of memory. It's always been kind of slow. For example, it's never really played iTunes very well, it kind of jerks through the songs. I've always thought iTunes was a notorious memory hog, but it's still kind of ridiculous.

I've finally decided to get some more RAM. Thanks to various mishaps, the RAM is about the only thing I haven't changed or replaced on this computer. I've got the information from the invoice, here's what it says:

BUFFALO 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700)

They don't make this any more, or at least Newegg doesn't sell it. Should I just go and find some RAM that is very similar to this (I was thinking another 512MB stick) or is there anything that I can do to buy some better RAM? And how do I know what of those stats makes the PC run faster? Thank you very much for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

any quality DDR333(PC2700) should work (CRUCIAL, KINGSTON, CENTON, CORSAIR, ETC)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

A note about iTunes skipping through songs:
Since iTunes7 that's been known to happen (happened to me). Upgrading your sound card driver may fix that for you (did for me!)

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

BUFFALO 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700)

As was stated Any type of pc 2700 DDR 333 ram should suffice doesnt' matter of brand

And how do I know what of those stats makes the PC run faster? Thank you very much for your time.

Lets sum it up basically

if I have what you just gave me from the invoice, Ill break it down for you

512 megs is the memory that its capable of holding, This is the major upgrade to your computer

184-pin is just the size of the bottom of the ram that goes into your motherboard, if say your computer had 184 pin memory slots, And you bought 200 pin, It wouldnt' fit in, so you wouldn't be abel to use it

333 is just the mhz at which it'll run at, And PC2700 is just basically the brand its been given for quality,

In most cases with motherboards nowadays you'll read that it holds DDR2 800 Ram

In a case like that, IF you were to go down to DDR2 533 or if thatw as all you could afford, it would work with your motherboard, it just wouldn't peak out the performance that the DDR2 800 would

get what Im saying?

Edited by resp, 07 January 2007 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users