Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Add Ons

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

Downloaded FF Browser and installed OK.
I then downloaded FF add on Smileys,and when I tried to install a notice said Windows does not recognise the file.
If anybody could help with what to do next would be appreciated.If the answer is not simple step by step instructions,then I'm lost from the start due to my lack of PC knowledge.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:41 AM

Is this what you downloaded?
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/375/

I read thru the comments from users and there is no common problem mentioned. There were others who could not get it to work and users that were happy with it.
My suggeston is to uninstall the extension and try to reinstall. Assuming you installed it correctly the first time (closing the Firefox browser and opening the browser, etc. to complete the install).
One user did comment that the extension was difficult to uninstall.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

No,I downloaded Milbar tool bar -1.0.1. 14-fxt,an thats probably my Boo Boo.
Will download and install your link.
Thanks for the quick reply,Buddy215.Will try again.

Edited by DSTM, 06 January 2007 - 11:35 AM.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

Downloaded FF Browser and installed OK.
I then downloaded FF add on Smileys,and when I tried to install a notice said Windows does not recognise the file.
If anybody could help with what to do next would be appreciated.If the answer is not simple step by step instructions,then I'm lost from the start due to my lack of PC knowledge.

:thumbsup: Boo boo.. :flowers:

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:00 AM

Is this what you downloaded?
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/375/

I read thru the comments from users and there is no common problem mentioned. There were others who could not get it to work and users that were happy with it.
My suggeston is to uninstall the extension and try to reinstall. Assuming you installed it correctly the first time (closing the Firefox browser and opening the browser, etc. to complete the install).
One user did comment that the extension was difficult to uninstall.

Downloaded above to documents and when I clicked on open,I get the same message that windows does not recognise this file.Any clues for this clueless?
Thanks in advance.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

DSTM HOW did you download it? Save as Open?

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:12 AM

I clicked on save--instead of desktop I chose documents-save-scanned .Then I r/c on it in docs to open and then the notice appeared.
I havent set my default browser to FF.Could this be a factor?

Edited by DSTM, 08 January 2007 - 08:27 AM.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:32 AM

If I go to the above link I click install on that radio button and than I get prompted to install it. Could you try that?

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:46 AM

Downloaded OK,then notice:
Windows cannot open this file.To open File windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go on line and look it up automatically or you can manually select from list of programs on your PC.What do you want to do.
I am lost from this point.

#10 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

Could you set FF as your standard browser and retry?Do you have similar problems with other add-ons?

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:58 AM

Is this what the download looks like?
Posted Image

If so, right click the file, mouse over Open With, and select Firefox, then click the Install Now button.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

Actually it should look like this

Posted Image

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

Unless you right click the download, and choose to save the file to your harddrive for AV scanning, then it would look like the image I posted.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for your help Fozzie and tg1911. :thumbsup:
Thats how it looks in my documents tg
Will let you know how I go.

Edited by DSTM, 08 January 2007 - 10:37 AM.

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

Unless you right click the download, and choose to save the file to your harddrive for AV scanning, then it would look like the image I posted.

Success at last.I was trying to download Firefox add ons useing IE6.When I made FF my default browser,downloading and installing was smooth thanks to tg1911's instructions.If I was useing FF to install,then Fozzie's diagram shown is correct,and if I was useing IE6 to install then tg1911's diagram is correct,so you were both right.
I have the smileys in the side bar,but up till now unable to get the smiley extension to work.That is transferring the selected smiley to my post.Checked the smiley web site out,however I found it very confusing ( I'm easy to confuse)LOL as to getting the correct way to update the smileys,and getting the extension to work.
I don't know whether anyone else is finding this a pain,so some simple instructions on these two points would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users