Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Make Xp Pro Genuine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Derya

Derya

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hi All,

I have a copy of XP Professional and would like to make it Genuine. If I purchase the Xp Pro license how can I make this copy of my Xp Pro Genuine without re-installing it. I don't want to lose my programs and settings and all which I have had for over a year.

Cheers,
Derya :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

Open Control Panel, Automatic Updates, Windows Update Website.
Click on Custom and it will check for the latest updates (which may take a while).
Press Continue to validate.
The validation will fail and there will be a link to a page where you can purchase a valid key on-line.
I have never done this myself but I understand that you won't need to re-install XP.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for that info Budapest! I've added it to my "kit bag"!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Derya

Derya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the info Budapest.

Would I be able to do this if I buy an Xp Box from a store.

Cheers,
Derya

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

I'm sorry Derya but I have no idea. Hopefully someone else on here will know...
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 CHG

CHG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

I would hav to ask what you mean by copy..ie..retail or copied by freind?copied from your system?as you could be doing the illegal.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

First you will need to purchase a legitimate key that matches your XP Pro install (OEM, Retail, Upgrade or Corporate).

To change the key you can follow Microsoft's how to.

How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a computer that is running Windows XP SP1 and later versions of Windows XP

An easier way is to use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.51 change key option.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 08 January 2007 - 04:33 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 Derya

Derya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for the info. No CHG I want to install the legal version by buying it and then installing it over my old one.

Cheers,
Derrya

#9 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info. No CHG I want to install the legal version by buying it and then installing it over my old one.

Cheers,
Derrya

As long as the CD you used to do the original install was a copy of a legit CD and not a downloaded version from the Internet just buy a legal version that is the same version and insert the legal key as my links show. If your present install is functioning correctly there is no reason to reinstall. If the present install is corrupted you could use the newly purchased CD to do a repair install as long as the versions are the exact same thing. During the repair install you will need to insert the legal key when asked anyhow.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 09 January 2007 - 08:00 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

I seem to recall that the versions key on the disk label (but am not sure). Here's some links to the different volume names:

RTM (SP0) - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226
SP1 - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=283
SP2 - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users