Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New Computer For The First Time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 astrolnk

astrolnk

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:54 AM

Ok, so far I have the case, psu, cpu, and the mobo. My question is I have the Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo. I want to do dual video cards on it. Is there anything certain I have to look for in the video cards other than the fact that they have to be the same card. My other question that just has me confused as all hell right now is what are the differences with the interfaces on all of them. Which ones are exactly compatible with my mobo?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:37 AM

SLI uses the PCIe x16 interface. Most graphics cards now a days are. Also, you probably already know this, but having two graphics cards uses a lot of power so you might want to make sure your psu is big enough.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

Only certain cards are SLI capable, make sure that the video card you choose is, also, most nvidia cards that are sli capable require a minimum of 450 watts , a 500 or even 550 power supply would be better. also, check and make sure that the power supply has two PCIe power connectors.

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 January 2007 - 10:23 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 astrolnk

astrolnk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

Yeah the psu I have is a Hiper, 580 watts and it came with extra connectors for SLI. So pretty much you are saying anything that x16 on the video card and SLI I am good to go?

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:41 AM

Yes you need a matched pair of sli capable video cards, your power supply should have no problems

#6 astrolnk

astrolnk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:32 AM

ok, now what hard drive will work cause I am confused about the different types of interfaces.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

IDE or SATA

you can have up to 4 sata drives, as this board supports raid.

SPECS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131540

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users