Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 michael49er

michael49er

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:13 AM

Hi does anyone have some sugestions about transfering programs & files from my old computers to new
ones, without to much cost the new computers taped me out

Any help would be great Thank You Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:34 AM

Okay first some questions:

What name and model are each of the computers?

What operating system is on each of these computers?

Folks with know-how of transferring files from one box to the other will need that information in order to help you out.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:37 AM

Here's a good place start;
Microsoft's How to Guide on
Transfer Files and Settings to a New PC.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:38 AM

Hi does anyone have some sugestions about transfering programs & files from my old computers to new
ones, without to much cost the new computers taped me out

Any help would be great Thank You Michael

Hey Michael.
I would recommend 1 of 3 methods
1) The easiest way is if you have a router mapp the drive of the old computer to the new computer and simply drag and drop the file (I would drag&drop the whole folder) to the new drive.
2) Same method but use a USB transfer cable or ethernet crossover cable. Be sure you use a Data transfer cabel if you use the USB method. If not you could damage both computers.
3) Take the old drive out of the computer, set it to slave and install it into the new computer. Once again drag&drop the files from the old drive to a location on the new drive.

Here is an example of a USB Data Transfer Cable.

Here is an example of a Ethernet Croaaover cable.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:54 AM

More importantly what kind of files are you trying to transfer?
- Programmes
in this case it might be better to do a fresh install

- Music/Video/Pictures
The easiest is to burn those on DVD's and than simple copy them to the required space

- Operating system?

#6 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hi I've been out of town for a few days.
Thank you for your help, first 1 computer is running windows ME. the other is running2000pro.
next, one of the program files is for quicken, but I also have a clean & repair program that I
paid for the download. would it be better if I bought a kit that has cables? The computer that runs
ME.I'm prtty sure dosn't have USB. Also my skill level is pretty low

Thanx Again Michael

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

Hey Michael.
There has been USB on computers since the mid 90's, at least the header on the motherboard for the USB connector. Do you have a ethernet port on each computer? If you looked at the links I provided that would be the cost effective solution.
You cannot transfer "installed" programs from one computer to another. A program's installation tailors it's self to the operating system. When you place it on a different computer you have to "install", not simply "transfer" the program.
Once setup you can open to explore windows and drag and drop from one folder to the next. You just cannot do it with programs.
Another option is by a KVM switch and keep both computers. I have several computers setup at home like that.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 ToDrag

ToDrag

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

As acklan mentioned, you can use a KVM and keep the old computer as is and run it with the new one if you want. You can switch between boxes for which one you want displayed on your monitor, so you can run multiple boxes at the same time. I just used a KVM to help me with the transfer last time and now have it put away for the next time or to help others do the same. I think the data transfer cables mentioned could be the next best thing. I have purchased from Cables N' Mor in the past and they have great prices on cables, adapters and the like. They also have the KVM and should have an adapter for your cable imcompatiblilty issue. Go to:
http://www.cablesnmor.com/index.asp

Also,while researching something similar, the forum recommended the following site for help. Maybe there is something there that will also help.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

As mentioned before by fozzie & acklan, you will have to reinstall all your programs individually. It may be a good idea to go through your list and make sure you have all the media or downloaded files available. Of course, freeware you can dowload again and will be getting the latest versions that way.

One other thing, you can transfer your profiles to the new box. The profiles are the files that are stored as you customise your applications, like your browser for instance. As in the case of my email client, Thunderbird, I recently set it up on a different computer. Before I did so, I copied my profiles from the computer it had been running on the the one I was transfering it to. When I loaded Thunderbird onto the computer being transferred to, all my stored emails, my extensions, and my themes were immediately available when I opened it for the first time on the new computer. It only took a few minutes. Go to your Documents and Settings, then your User Name, then Application Data and to the program you want to move the profiles on and copy the Profile directory (folder). In my Thunderbird case, the path looked like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\(MY USER NAME)\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles

Yours will be the same for all programs that have your personal configurations. Put the copied directory exactly in the same location on the new computer. Set up the program folder under Application Data directory and copy the Profile folder to that Program folder. If you do this before you install the program on the new compter, the apps will run just like they did on the old box. I acutally backup my Profiles from time to time, in case I have to reinstall an application I will have everthing up to date when I reinstall and open. My Firefox browser crashed recently and I was very thankful to have the Profiles available. I have spent many hours customizing Firefox with extensions and themes and I don't want to "re-invent the wheel". Transferring the profiles will really help you to have the programs on the new box run like you are accustomed to on the old one.

Additionally,the forum's "Tips and Tricks" can help you with transferring your Favorites or Bookmarks.

Good luck with it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to thee, these three: love, joy & the blues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users