Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xxx.xxx.manifest Files Are In My System32 Folder.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 just Bob

just Bob

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:28 AM

Well, I was pointlessly and randomly looking through my system32 folder, and I noticed a file that was hidden (I have it so I view hidden folders, so it kinda stood out from the others), and I noticed the last part of its name was .manifest. I don't think any of the .manifest files I've found have been activated, because my computer is still alive and moveing normally-ish, but here's a list of the 7 manifest files I have found:
cdplayer.exe.manifest
logonui.exe.manifest
ncpa.cpl.manifest
nwc.cpl.manifest
sapi.cpl.manifest
windowslogon.manifest
wuaucpl.cpl.manifest

I skimmed this thread here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof....php/t8139.html, but it said something about restarting your computer will make the fix not work, as the files would have changed, so I do not believe it would work good for me. I'm on Windows XP home, 2002 edition, on a Compaq computer (original OS for the computer). And, of course, SP2 updated.

Edited by just Bob, 06 January 2007 - 01:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

OK, these are valid Windows files. There are 2 ways to confirm this for you.

It will have the same icon as .dll files
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/li...s_reference.asp
I hope that clears it up for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application Manifests
An application manifest is an XML file that describes and identifies the shared and private side-by-side assemblies that an application should bind to at run time. These should be the same assembly versions that were used to test the application. Application manifests may also describe metadata for files that are private to the application.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 just Bob

just Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:19 PM

Okay, thankyou then. This would be a resolved topic I guess. (=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users