Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Not Opening

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 prampara

prampara

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

Hi All,

I am a firefox user but use IE once in a while. Over the last few days I find IE is not opening. It shows up in task manager, and then dies out. I have even tried reinstalling IE but has unfortunately not helped. It works for then but after running windows update, installing and rebooting, it's back to square one. My windows update is enabled for automatic downloads and is up to date. Suspecting malaware, I have been through the HJT Log analysis forum and have been cleared off any malaware, etc residing on my PC. Any help in solving this problem would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Prampara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:19 AM

Do you have IE6 or IE7?

Can you explain what "it dies out" means?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:21 AM

Have any of your firewall settings been changed?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:28 AM

Are you still experiencing the high internet volume?

Suggestion to see if this will solve the problem: Uninstall Ashampoo defragmenter and reboot. This program mucked up my internet connection when I trialed it, so I'm suspicious that it may be contributing to the problem. That said, it didn't affect my browser, but I had it installed less than a day. If it doesn't have an affect on either problem you can reinstall the program if you want it.

Here's another suggestion: You may need your Windows XP installation disk for this, a recovery disk won't work.

Click on Start --> Run. Into the box type: sfc /scannow Make sure there is a space between the c and the /. If it prompts you to do so, insert your XP disk into the drive. This process will fix or replace corrupt system files.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 _Peter_

_Peter_

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

Are you using Windows XP? The problem might be your user account. If "sfc /scannow" doesn't work, try creating a new user account, log into that account, and see if IE has the same problem. Make sure you give the new account administrator privileges if the problem is fixed and you want to delete the old account. And make sure you move all the files from your old account (MyDocuments, MyPictures, MyMusic, etc) to your new account before you delete your old account because that stuff won't be accessible from your new user account.

Edited by _Peter_, 06 January 2007 - 02:02 AM.

#6 prampara

prampara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:41 AM

I'm using win2K. By dying out I mean that it shows signs of starting i.e. it appears in my task manager but then ceases.

Prampara

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

Have a read thru This Windows XP News Groups Forum thread.

Doing a System File Scan (sfc /scannow) as Orange Blossom suggested you could do, corrected the problem for the poster in that thread.
Did you try it ?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users