Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ghosts Or Spirits ...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

Have always found it interesting that some people, often highly educated, do believe in either ghosts or spirits - and I would enjoy hearing others opinions if you wouldn't mind sharing.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

I don't believe in ghosts. There are none. I know there is a God, I believe in Christ, I know there is a devil. If you believe in ghosts, then Satan will show you some. I've been a few places where "ghosts" are and never seen or been bothered by them. The people I know who have seen them, believe in them. Obviously. So, to me, if you believe in them, you'll see them. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:23 AM

I don't believe in ghosts. There are none. I know there is a God, I believe in Christ, I know there is a devil. If you believe in ghosts, then Satan will show you some. I've been a few places where "ghosts" are and never seen or been bothered by them. The people I know who have seen them, believe in them. Obviously. So, to me, if you believe in them, you'll see them. :flowers:

I love reading about Ghosts and Haunted houses,especially the English ones.After all I have read I am still undecided,but still find it fasinating.I am convinced we know very little about the Supernatural,and for that reason we can't explain strange happenings.What harm can it do really to believe or non-believe.
I still get a kick out of watching the old Black and White haunted house Movies,and the friendly and nasty ghosts,which live there.
If it turns out that there are real ghosts and spirits,when I die,my wish is mine come back and haunt everyone who has been unkind to me,throughout my life. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 06 January 2007 - 02:34 AM.

#4 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

I'm not sure if I believe in ghosts or not. I certainly have faith in God and believe in angels. I also believe that we have guardian angels, and/or ancestors and relations who watch over us from time to time at least.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:28 AM

'Ghost' is from Greek and means the same thing as 'Spirit' which is from Latin and means the same thing as 'spook' which comes from Dutch which means 'breath' which is from Old English.

In the New Testament there is reference to the 'Holy Spirit' also called the 'Holy Ghost' also identified as the comforter. The Old Testament talks about the 'Spirit of the Lord' in many places.

I do in fact know there are spirits, but this does not mean that I believe the folklore about ghosts and spirits because for the most part I don't. I also do not 'see' the 'ghosts' that a lot of other people 'see'.

The guardian angels, ancestors etc. mentioned earlier are all spirits :flowers: .

Each one of us also has a spirit or ghost within us. Of course, others believe that we don't.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 January 2007 - 10:17 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

I'm still an reserving judgement as well - but I often wonder about children in particular. Many seem to 'see' things that the rest of us cannot and although I know our mind can surely play tricks on us, really do find the topic fascinating.

For myself, I've little experience with it but have from time to time through my life suddenly smelled the scent of lavender at times of crisis - in fact, it's so common that I rarely register that it's odd anymore. While not a bad scent, lavender isn't one that I would ever purchase or plant in a garden - and my sister swears it's our paternal grandmother 'paying me a visit'.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:02 AM

Even thou of the evidence around us of ghosts, spirits etc... I do not believe there is such thing.
I believe when someone dies, they are unconscious, knows nothing, spirit does not live on and stays in the ground.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

The only spirits I believe in are those that are distilled.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

I think that our five senses cannot catch the all reality of the Universe.
So, in some circumstances, like when we are in profound meditation, we can contact with a much more vast reality that we can call "the world of spirit".
When that happens we can feel things that in normal conditions we don't feel at all.
I think MaraM, you must try because it's a marvellous sensation.
Regards,
Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#10 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

Not to turn this into scifi (or perhaps so), many scientists believe the universe is made up of more than three dimensions. String theory postulates (I believe) 11 dimentions.

What would a 4 or 5 or 6 ... dimension being look like passing thru 3 dimension space?
Derfram
~~~~~~

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:22 AM

Sci fi ... well, at one time the thought of men flying would have been considered sci fi - so who knows what a few generations from now will consider 'norm'.

What fascinates me is that even after weeding through all the shams and charlatons, there are cases of 'paranormal' things recorded through history that seem to baffle even the most dubious. Yet, I always wonder if there is a logical reason for these things - logical but yet not understood by our level of science at presence.

On the other hand, if one has a soul (the spirit or essence that makes us 'us'), who's to say what happens to it after what we now conceive of as death?).

And on a lesser level, isn't it odd how some children are born - literally born - being incredible at math or music, etc. When I see these examples on documentaries, part of me does begin to wonder if my friend who believes in reincarnation may have a valid point. So, so many wonderful mysteries in our universe!

Re Darthy's note about profound meditation - yes, I do agree completely. I was a very fortunate child who learned about meditation very early in life and even now it stands me in good stead when the going gets particularly rough. Have never been to the level where one could sense "the world of spirit" - but how fascinating it must be!

DSTM, when you wrote, "If it turns out that there are real ghosts and spirits,when I die,my wish is mine come back and haunt everyone who has been unkind to me,throughout my life. hysterical.gif - I truly laughed! I threaten my grandchildren that should they ever take drugs or turn into general lousy adults, I'll come back and haunt them, too! :thumbsup:

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:51 AM

Well said MaraM.I haven't been a big believer in Ghosts and Spirits,but many strange happenings occur from time to time which nobody has an answer to. Probably 99% of all Psychics,Mediums,Clairvoyants,and Seers are fakes,it's that other 1% which I have a hard time trying to doubt.There are those which believe the Past Present and the Future are connected,and reading about Time Travel, I find fascinating also.

When reading about Psychics and Mediums,and on TV documentaries where these people have recieved a picture of a crime scene in their minds,and can recreate the whole crime scene.or someones unexplained disappearance in their minds to help investigators solve a crime,never ceases to amaze me.

We should not dismiss Ghosts and Spirits just because we don't understand the Paranormal.

Darthy,I meditate often and find it calms the soul.Never been in touch with the spirits though.

Another thing,How do ants know to build a bank around their hole, long before rain comes?
Dogs that howl and behave strangely long before an earthquake hits?
Why did the Elephants in Thailand start heading for the hills,long before that devasting wave struck?
There are senses we humans know nothing about,also.

Edited by DSTM, 08 January 2007 - 06:55 AM.

#13 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

And at the risk of sounding like a complete and utter nut here - I've known 2 woman personally who are rational, sane people who have 'dreams' from time to time. Dreams of a particular person dying - and poof! - that person does die within literally days following the dream. (And no, I don't believe the dream causes the person to die - :thumbsup: ).

Yet, oddly enough, both these woman don't think the dreams anything other than 'norm' for them - and neither believe in ghosts/spirits.

As for animals sensing natural disasters long before us - I agree with you completely, DSTM. In fact, a few years ago our cat went suddenly 'bug eyes' and literally scratched up the hardwood flooring in her attempt to vanish across the room and disappear. And about 4 minutes later, a huge thumping sound started and within moments, the earthquake struck.

Have always wondered if animals have hearing far greater than even scientists give them credit for - or perhaps a sensitivity within their paw pads that we are unable to comprehend - who know, but animals are no fools.

Think I should change the heading to include 'Odd stuff' to go along with ghosts or spirits as, if we pay attention to animals and small children we can learn a lot, especially about 'instincts'. I suspect most of our ancestors survived because they paid attention to their instincts - and yet we now often poo-poo them and try to use rational thinking to actually overcome them.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

"
When reading about Psychics and Mediums,and on TV documentaries where these people have recieved a picture of a crime scene in their minds,and can recreate the whole crime scene.or someones unexplained disappearance in their minds to help investigators solve a crime,never ceases to amaze me. "

These are a few christian links I have about this topic. Its what believe.
http://www.gotquestions.org/psychics-Christian.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/ghosts-hauntings.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/praying-to-the-dead.html

#15 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

Egad.

Just from the first link provided:

(Quote) "The Bible strongly condemns the practice of spiritism, mediums, occult, psychics, etc. (Leviticus 20:27; Deuteronomy 18:10-13). Horoscopes, tarot cards, astrology, fortune tellers, palm readings, séances, etc., fall into this category as well. These practices are based on the concept that there are gods, spirits, or deceased loved ones that can give you advise and guidance. These “gods” or “spirits” are demons (2 Corinthians 11:14-15). (Unquote).

So you really truly believe that it's demons that make these women dream about someone dying? (Both women are truly two of the nicest, kindest, gentlest and most giving of all the people I've ever know - plus are Christians and live by Christian values!

That it's demons that are the cause of the few and rare people that have a gift that helps Police Officers solve crimes?

And please try to remember all the deeply religious people who burned innocent people at the stake for being 'witches'. In fact, while I'm on this topic of 'oddities/ghosts/spirits' - there was a time when, if a child was born with a caul over his or her face, he or she was considered to be able to 'see into the future and forecast things', ergo, they had a touch of the 'demon' in them - and were condemmed by Christians.

Also, how is believing in angels any different than people who believe in ghosts/spirits, please? Would that not, according to the above belief dump angels into the same catagory as 'demons'?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users