Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Reboot Problem,any Help Would Be Great

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slyfox

slyfox

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

I had a power outage a few days ago,but my system is plugged into surge protectors,when I start my computer it goes to a screen that says safe mode or start normally or last known good configuration.I've tried them all but it keeps shutting down when I use normally the xp screen comes up like it is loading up then a couple of seconds later it clicks and starts rebooting taking me back to the page asking which mode to use. Any help would be great,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:38 AM

how good of a surge protector do you have....

if its a high end one, then something must've slipped through it, however, I run without a surge protector and my computer has gone through more than a few power outages...so Im kind of mystified as to how yours would just go like this.

Did you keep your drives clean adn all that from malware, and spyware etc?
have you had any issues before with things like this, OR something similar...

this may very well be a harddrive issue, Or it may be something simpler than that,

Have you tried the repair windows option with your XP/98 disc? if not I may recommend you attempt that, as it may seem that windows is damaged somehow

#3 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:56 AM

Something like this happened to me before though I'm not sure if its your same probem.

I guess sometimes when there's a power outage or something(not nessisarily a power surge) and forces your computer off at the wrong time, it can give windows some problems. For me, it corrupted some major registry\windows system files like the 'software', 'security', 'sam', 'default', and 'system' in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config . I just went in through windows recovery console thing on the cd and replaced them with ones in C:\WINDOWS\repair and it fixed it. This might not be your problem... because mine actually gave me the blue screen.
But repairing\reinstalling windows would probably be your best bet at fixing everything though.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:35 AM

Power outages are usually accompanied by surges. And surges aren't restricted to power lines.

In my case, I've had power surges through a telephone modem and most recently through my cable connection at the wife's office and at home.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users