Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think Ie7 Has Messed Up My Computer, Can Someone Please Help?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ains

Ains

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hi,

Ever since installing IE7 and the new Media Player ("Critical updates"), my computer has been acting really weird. After being online for some time, on IE, some webpages like Google won't display. It will say that it is done loading the page, but instead all I see is a blank screen. At the same time, Media Player won't display text in its tabs (such as "now playing" "library" etc.). The only way to fix it is to restart it, and then it will do it again after a bit.

I tried installing Firefox to use instead, but rather than showing blank pages, it loads pages with weird fonts. It either uses Times New Roman (but with weird characters for symbols) or a thick font that is impossible to read. I've run Adware and virus scans, but they both come up negative.

This has been a really frustrating problem, and I'd rather not have to do a System Restore with over a month's work on my computer since the problem. Has this happened to anyone else? I've also uninstalled IE7, but the problem still persists.

Thank you to anyone who can help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

You can change the text in Firefox by clicking on Tools/ Options/ Content tab
That is strange that Firefox started that way.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:40 AM

I, too, had problems (see my posting "Internet Explorer 7/Problems") with IE7. I installed once, it caused disturbances (that I don't remember the details of) with my system, then I went to System Restore. A couple of weeks or so later, I received a Windows update prompt and foolishly decided to give it another try. It's the latest thing, right? (So it must be good.) It locked up my pc so that I had to do a manual shut off the next morning. Curiously, it also got my Webroot Spysweeper for MSN involved by causing it to open. See my posting for details.

Incidentally, System Restore will not remove your work, data, etc. It just returns your computer back to whatever restore point date you choose, minus whatever programs you installed after that date.

Funny thing about antispyware and antivirus software: they all detect different things, and some adware, malware and viruses slip past the radar of one, but may be detected by the product of another company. That being the case, I would recommend running different versions of those. I have had good results from Spybot Search & Destroy (a free download) and V-Com System Suite. I've used Norton, McAfee, and Webroot Spysweeper, but have found deficiencies with those (and the two I previously mentioned are not perfect).

Be that as it may, and based upon my own experience with it, I suspect that IE7 contains some serious glitches. At least for some systems.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:22 AM

There could be a number of issues..

1) What version of Java do you have. The latest is Version 6
2) Did you get the beta version or not?

#5 Ains

Ains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

Hi,

I updated my Java, and that seems to have fixed it.

Thank you so much for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users