Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba A75 Wants To Use Battery Instead Of A/c

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nemslistings

nemslistings

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

Hi everyone! I have a Toshiba A75 S226 that I bought back in August 04. It has had the usual overheating problems back in 04 which I fixed and the static problem that they have a class action lawsuit on now but this is something new altogether. I think this may possibly be the battery going bad but I want your opinions before I drop $150+ dollars for something that may not be the solution.

Around 2 weeks before Thanksgiving my laptop started switching to the battery mode even though it was still plugged in to the wall and the a/c LED on the front of the machine confirmed that indeed it had a good connection. It would stay on the battery until I either let it run completely down and it shut itself down or until I unplugged it for a few seconds and replugged it. So, I usually took the latter but it kept getting worse and worse. On Thanksgiving I took it to my grandparents and tried to use it on battery and since it was not on a/c it just plain shut off without warning. It seemed to be doing the same kind of thing as it was doing on a/c but since it didn't have anything to backup to it just shut off.

Since then it has gotten worse and worse switching to battery more and more until I got tired of it last weekend and reinstalled the toshiba power management. That was a huge mistake. When I restarted it seemed fine for around an hour but then it switched to battery and no matter what it would not switch back. The a/c light stays on as long as it is connected. Now, the battery is dead and it will not charge! So, I'm just left with a $1700 doorstop and need your help.

I don't think it is the common D/C jack problem because it does not seem to have any problem with the power LED. Could be though. I also tried to run the computer with the battery out of it but it would not start. It would just click. So, I thought maybe the battery completed a circuit.

I am currently using a Compaq desktop which is good but my laptop goes with me and I do need it for work. I'm a tech at work on desktops but laptops scare me.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

laptops are just amazing aren't they?..

is it possible that this could be software related, as in something bugging out your connector? or maybe some sort of rogue program telling it to switch to battery?

Have you opened it up, if so is there anything unusual going on inside, or missing or whatever

is there anywya for you to physically turn on your computer, somehow, Or is it basically completely dead at the moment?

#3 nemslistings

nemslistings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

I haven't opened it up yet because there is a warranty extension (from the class action lawsuit) in place right now and I'm worried that if I open it they will not take it back it I decide to go that route.

I thought for a long time it was software but now it will turn off when windows begins booting. Sometimes it won't even make it to the BIOS! I got lucky last night and booted all the way into my system and reinstalled Toshiba's power management software but after restarting I couldn't get it to completely restart before the battery went completely dead. (my guess anyway) It definitely seems to be hardware. Plus, I noticed that the battery's charge was showing the crazy number of 255% charge on the power management software but it immediately dropped to 0%.

One thing I failed to mentioned is now the battery LED keeps saying that it is charging but the very second I press the on button that charging LED goes completely off. It has always continued to charge no matter if the computer was on or off till now. It will not come back on until the computer shuts back off. VERY ODD PROBLEM!

Thanks for your message.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:10 AM

Time to replace your battery your problems match several batteries that I have seen with shorted cells inside them.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:57 AM

I will have to agree with oldf@rt on this one

This reminds me of a shaver that I bought , took it home went to charge it and all I got was a shaver that was about 80 inside that you could feel outside but no charge...

So it may be time to replace it nad move on :thumbsup: wish there was a cheaper method but..yea know..

#6 nemslistings

nemslistings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for your help. Now, I just have to figure out which brand to get. hmm.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

Do you have a batteries plus in your area?

The techs there made some custom batteries for me (sunpak battery pack, with 4 2V D size batteries inside) for a medium format camera flash. I could not even find a new pack on ebay. (the flash is 25+ years old)

http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-battery-plus.aspx

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

I've seen several Toshiba's like this (including my own) - I've traced it to a problem with the jack that plugs into the back of the computer in most cases.

At times the AC Adapter will even register as being powered - but the jack appears to be of flimsy construction. Testing with a multimeter is the first step. If jiggling the jack shows power sometime - then this is also likely to be the problem.

The final test is to try another adapter in it's place. In my case, I went to BestBuy with the laptop and asked to use the adapter to one of the display models for a second for a test. Sure enough, it was the adapter - so I bough one of the universal one's that they sell (a Targus I believe). Since then I've seen at least 3 other Toshiba's with the same problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

When I went for my A75 fixes for the static problem (before the settlement), they replaced everything, motherboard included, new BIOS and all. It's like a new computer.
In any case, the repair shop told me that there's an issue with the power supply jack, but I didn't need that fix, so didn't do it. The class action rules dictate that any flawed part can be replaced, warranty or no warranty. You're covered until Nov.2007.

A coworker of mine with the same machine just got his power system replaced and was amazed that it didn't cost him a penny, even though Toshiba threw in the new motherboard & BIOS update. He, too, is covered until Nov.

If you get new motherboard, be aware that the MAC addresses of the NIC and Wireless cards get changed, so don't forget to tell your router :thumbsup:

Their batteries don't last as long as they should. Mine (2+ yrs old) now lasts about 10 minutes. Unfortunately that is NOT covered under the above, generous, deal. So I'll be looking too.

Edited by tos226, 07 January 2007 - 09:53 PM.

#10 nemslistings

nemslistings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I did order a battery which will be a good thing if that is or isn't the problem since these machines consume so much power. There isn't a batterys plus or anything like that around here.

If the battery isn't the problem then it is probably what usasma said. I'll just try to get it sent back to Toshiba for that fix and let them fix my fan which rattles due to the overheating problem it had in 04'. They will leave the HDD inside the machine and not replace it, won't they? I have lots of genealogy, work papers, programs I wrote, and school work on there that doesn't need to be lost....I do have the majority of it on backup disks but still.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

Most manfacturers have a bad tendency to re image the hard drive when you send laptops in for service

so please be sure to back up everything that you need:

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP, and again, BACKUP

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:52 AM

Yesterday we got a call from the laptop service center that we use. It seems that I'd sent them a laptop without a hard drive (deliberate).

The repair didn't require the hard drive (it was a screen issue) and the customer decided that he didn't want to risk his data - so he removed it just prior to shipping.

It was marked on the service order that the hard drive was removed - but the service center hadn't bothered to look at the paperwork that was sent with it.

Still unknown is why they wanted the hard drive - I suspect that they wanted to install a new driver - but only time will tell.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 nemslistings

nemslistings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

I'm back and I'm not happy. The battery was not the problem and it is definitely the dc jack because now I have a blinky LED when the adapter is plugged in. I called Toshiba and described exactly what it was doing and they told me that IT WAS MY FAULT. They said that the DC jack problem is a sign of physical damage from probably pressing the laptop against a wall, someone tripping over the cord, or some other thing. The only thing that has ever happened to it was that is was taken from home to school and to work. Nobody has ever tripped over it and it has never been against a wall.

Toshiba support isn't as great as people say. I'm going to fix this thing myself even if it did cost more than my car. It'll probably be a 8 lb paperweight when I'm done. :thumbsup:

#14 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:24 AM

You are not the only one who has had the problem. See this persons fix:

Edited by just me, 03 February 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

now that you have the power jack problem, dont give up!! make them fix the problem, as this is a known issue with this series of toshiba, to determine abuse, they must physically have the laptop and see the power port, abuse then is obvious. If the base tech refuses and says that this is abuse over the phone again, ask for the supervisor, (make sure to take a picture of the port before you send it in) explain to the supervisor that you did not abuse the system, etc. that you want an actual tech to physically have the system to repair it, and that you dont think that a laptop can be evaluated over the telephone. Polite but firm, and dont give up, this is what they want you to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users