Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

I'm going to download this program but is there a certain way it should be configured?My brother says not to check the prefetch box.I've never used this program before could someone share their thoughts on this.I using winxp home with FF2 browser.Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

here is the help. you also can check the forum for further info. did your brother say why not to check the prefetch box?

#3 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:55 PM

He said that windows does this by itself.This is why i posted here to find out for sure.Are they any boxes that you don't have checked?Also do you use prefetch?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

A word of warning. Beware of any automated applications like CCleaner; very often, with the best of intentions, they candidate files that if deleted can seriously impair the performance of some applications. Unless you are VERY CAREFUL about what you delete, you can do serious harm, also, to the operating system. Consequently, always make a back up---especially of registry entries---before taking any action.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 January 2007 - 06:49 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

prefetch is something that makes the computer load programs faster and also boot up faster. It is rather like a directory telling the computer: okay here is all the places you need to go to get this stuff; just tug on these strings and you'll have everything you need. Clearing out the prefetch will actually cause your computer to boot more slowly and applications to open more slowly until it can rebuild the prefetch folder.

Occasionally clearing out prefetch is a good thing usually as one of the final steps in cleaning up a very badly infected computer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

As an example of a certain noob (me) using Ccleaner without being careful enough, I had to reinstall Firefox after using it the first time. I'm still not sure what got deleted!!

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,846 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:13 AM

Looking at the registry entries CCleaner brings up for ME, I know I'd end up ruining at least 3 programs by 'fixing' everything it says to. I trust the registry check here: http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm much better. This will also scan for malware, temp. files, and whether the disk needs defragmentation.

In CCleaner, I have the following checked: on the Windows tab, everything under IE and everything under Windows Explorer. Under System, I have everything checked but recycle bin. I don't have that one checked because I want to make sure that what I have deleted won't cause me problems. I clean it out separately with a different program. On the Applications Tab, I have everything checked under Firefox, and I have Sun Java checked under Internet. I have other stuff checked, but that is more up to user preferences.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:57 AM

John's rightfull warning concerned : After you have installed Ccleaner go to options, advanced and tick `prompt for registry backup `. If you click issues you tick everything as far as registry is concerned and run it. If you than click solve problems you will be prompted to store a back up. As a default it will go to "MY DOCUMENTS"

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:32 AM

It is my understanding that prefetch will make your programs start faster but your computer boot slower, because all the prefetch data must be loaded at boot time. But I'm no expert on prefetch...
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

I downloaded the program on my computer and my son's also.I checked them all except prefetch and hotfix uninstallers.I'll use these settings for the present time.Just to be safe.I tries to understand a program before using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users