Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Restoring Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Madbrad06

Madbrad06

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

A few weeks ago my computer started crashing at start up. It would crash then reboot automatically over and over until finally working and starting windows. I dealt with it for awhile cause i was too lazy to do anything about it. Recently i decided to use the restore discs that came with the computer (it's made by emachines).

So i booted from the restore cd but halfway through the retore process it would say something like error reading image (or something like that). I thought maybe it was the disc drive so i used the other disc drive on the computer. This didn't work either. I thought maybe the lens was dirty so i used a cd lens cleaner. Didn't work. Finally after trying it over and over the restore process went all the way through.

I rebooted and windows started to load but, after entering setup and going through some of the setup screens (like computer name, time zone etc.) the computer would freeze up. Other times during the restore process or the setup screens the computer would just shut off and restart.

So i'm thinking it's most likely a hardware issue, possibly the power supply or even the harddrive. I don't think it's the cd drives cause i have two and i doubt they are both broken. I've never had any troubles with this computer until now. It's windows xp emachines with 1 gig of ram and 2.8 ghz cpu. Any help on what could possibly be the problem would be much appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

Sounds just like an issue we had yesterday at work. The Windows install stopped partway through. We eliminated the possible software causes then focused on the hardware.

A false "pass" was recorded on the motherboard test - but the failing MemTest showed us that one of the memory slots was bad.

The 2 easiest, free tests for your hardware are MemTest for the memory: http://www.memtest86.com/

And the diagnostics available at the hard drive manufacturer's website.

PSU testers are cheaper than a PSU (about $12 US last time I checked) - but don't test the PSU under load.

Also, you may want to try a hardware stripdown to eliminate some devices from the troubleshooting. Here's a mini-guide on the process: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users