Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Boot :(

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sstim26

sstim26

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

First off i am running windows xp media center 2005 and i have a fairly new hp rig thats only a few months old. Yesterday i got an automatic hp update window on my screen and since i alwaays like to update my system as soon as possible i started the update. i do not remember exacty what the update said but i do recall that it was a bios update concerning problems with broadband connections or some such. so while the update was running i went and smoked a cig and ate real quick and came back see if the update was finished. I came back to a blank (black) computer screen with a cursor flashing in the upper left hand screen. I thought that odd so i restarted my computer and lo and behold the problem was still there. It will not get beyond that point, windows doesn't boot and my keyboard will not turn on either. If anyone can help me fix this problem and get me to the point where i can get windows to boot i would greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

If you're familiar with resetting the CMOS settings I would recommend doing that.

If that doesn't work, or you're unsure how to do it, just take the thing to an HP authorized repair center, like CompUSA or some such.

Normally I wouldn't think a BIOS update would run automatically, it's not something I've ever seen before. But if it did do that, and messed up somewhere in the process then it could cause the motherboard to stop functioning. Since it should be under warranty, I'd have HP foot the bill and do the labor.
Posted Image

#3 sstim26

sstim26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

So you think i should try removing the CMOS battery and/or removing the jumper for a bit then try reinstalling said items and rebooting then? I hope that works, I'm at work at the moment so gotta wait till I'm off to try but yeah I was thinking to do those things but havent had time to try it yet. Work day goes really slow when you're thinking about your computer problems all day :thumbsup: Any way I'll try taht when I get home and I hope for the best, if not then yeah the comp is still under the 1 year warrant so if it's fubar then hp is definitely footin the bill. Thanks for the suggestion m8.

#4 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:33 PM

I too can't recall seeing a BIOS update offered like that. My usual advice is not to flash the BIOS unless circumstances call for it. Could it be that you were a victim of some malware diguised as an error/update message from HP? I wonder.

Boot the computer and tap F8 or whatever you need to do to be presented with the screens for last known settings that worked, safe mode or something. If you can boot into Windows in any mode, perhaps a System Restore would undo the damage.
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users