Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mcnnowak

mcnnowak

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

Ok. Whenever I try to get onto (Or into :flowers:) the Control Panel via the start menu, it crashes along with explorer.exe (Yeah, the whole desktop crashes then it comes back in like 15 seconds). But i still cant get into the control panel so i really cant do much if my firewall was to get tweaked or something happened to something blah blah blah.

So does anyone have a fix or some advice on this little major inconvenience?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

The fix is more than likely How To Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 mcnnowak

mcnnowak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:42 PM

Err... its nothing to do with internet explorer. The explorer.exe i was talking about is the whole windows explorer. I mean like, it crashes and the little bar at the bottom of the screen goes away untill i run explorer.exe in the task manager.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

Hmm. Lots of possibilities here. Starting with one of the easier ones here's some questions:

What is your specific operating system?

How much RAM do you have?

How much stuff do you have automatically starting up?

How much stuff do you have running in the background?

Do you have any other programs that experience crashes? If so, which ones?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

I stand corrected mcnnowak,sorry for the oversight.

After you restart the computer,do you receive the error message noted in This Micro$oft KB article?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:54 AM

I want to say.. when the error comes up click on details and copy the error reprot, but I have no idea what good that will do, unless we have someone who can decypher it...

Is windows 100% updated and everything, And have you experienced this problem before?

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

You should be able to upload a copy of the error report to the Microsoft Online Crash Analysis.

This link was in the last MS KB article I posted...... :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:31 PM

Two suggestions:

1. Boot into Safe Mode and run your antivirus and any other antispyware or antitrojan you may have installed after updating them. Let us know what you are using, and if anything major is found or fixed and what. And if you aren't using an AV and other security scanners we can suggest some free ones for you.

I know you've already been asked, but I would also like to know if Windows is fully up to date. Exploited security holes can cause this type of behavior if you are infected.

2. Have a look at this thread and post back what kind of errors you are getting: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Since you are having problems with Control Panel, just type in (or copy and paste) eventvwr.msc in the Run box and hit enter to bring up Event Viewer. Just post back the error reports, they may give us more information that can be used to troubleshoot. The Online Crash Analyses may or may not be helpful.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#9 mcnnowak

mcnnowak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

Wow. Thanks everyone.
@TMack That Microsoft KB article is exactly what happens. Thanks
@Everyone Else: Thanks for replying. Ill post when or if i can fix it.

Btw, Bleepingcomputer has a really good community. o.O

Edited by mcnnowak, 06 January 2007 - 03:10 PM.

#10 mcnnowak

mcnnowak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:23 PM

Ok. So, the report that TMack posted was exactly what happens but i dont have Rkadmin.dll in my system32 folder.

I have Windows Xp Home Edition, and for anti-virus i have Xoftspy and Smitfraudfix (For adware). Im gonna try to do a virus scan in safe mode.

EDIT: Ill get the error report too.

Edited by mcnnowak, 06 January 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#11 mcnnowak

mcnnowak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

OK. Heres the Error Report:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: shell32.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2951 Offset: 0002ac10

I really dont understand any of it. o.O

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

The first thing (IMO) is to double check your current protection by running this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/

It will scan for malware, will clean your registry, will clear out your Temp files and defrag your hard drive (and tell you what ports are open).

The error report says that explorer.exe crashed in the module named shell32.dll. There are many possible causes for this - but the most common is malware. Let us know if it reoccurs after the scan (and what the scan finds)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

The error report says that explorer.exe crashed in the module named shell32.dll. There are many possible causes for this - but the most common is malware. Let us know if it reoccurs after the scan (and what the scan finds)

Agreed. There is a lot of malware that hooks into windows--what that means is pretty complicated to explain. Explorer.exe is the main shell of Windows--it allows you to see folders/files and click on items, how your desktop looks, etc, etc. It is like looking at and driving a car. There are a lot of components that make up the car, and malware can get under the hood to hide and cause trouble. Or it could be from wear and tear. But this is a starting point.

The main thing you should know is that Xoftspy is not an antivirus. It is an antispyware/adware. It's important to know the difference. And Smitfraudfix is a special removal tool--it only removes a specific family of adware trojans and is not a general adware scanner like Xoftspy.

It is essential now on today's internet to have a good anitvirus installed that has real time protection so you can prevent infections. You didn't answer the question about whether you have SP2 and all Windows patches up to date. Why this is important is because if you are surfing the internet on an unpatched machine with no protective programs like a true antivirus, then you are most likely heavily infected. It is a lot easier to prevent infections than it is to clean them up. Unpatched, unprotected machines are often so badly infected that you can never be sure that you are completely clean. Today's threats are so sophisticated that it is extremely difficult to clean them up and they do so much damage that it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Bottom line is if you are running unpatched and unprotected, your machine may never run right without a reformat. With protection you have a better chance of getting it back to normal. Xoftspy alone won't do it.

Run that online virus scan and let us know how you come out. But my suggestion is that after that you install a resident antivirus, then run it in safe mode. Here are some good free ones:

Antivir
Avast Free
AVG Free

If you are infected, your best bet to get cleaned up is to post a HijackThis log and get some expert help. Just don't expect it to be easy. It is easy to get infected, not so easy to recover. But there is a lot of information in a log where we don't have to ask so many questions. It is another good starting point.

But don't post the log just yet. And don't post it in this thread. Do that online scan and post back what was found. The names of any infections, file names and what folder they are in if listed. If you aren't infected, then all I've posted here is moot.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#14 mcnnowak

mcnnowak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

Oh snap. I ran the http://safety.live.com/ thing. It didnt fix anything but my comp is going so friggin fast. Btw, i started a new topic because i think the Error Thing for the control panel spread to most of my other programs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users