Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mcnnowak

mcnnowak

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

Ok. My sister really screwed up her computer somehow, and ive been trying to fix it for a long time now. The problem is that whenever she tries to log onto her administrator account, it just stops and a little screen pops up in the top left hand corner, but it really doesnt do anything. Nothing else loads, even the desktop. All it shows is her backround.

Now, i was wondering: Luckily she still has a non-administrator account that i think might be of some use. She can still get onto this account (sometimes) and maybe she would ba able to turn this account into an administrator account... So, if anyone knows hot to do this, or how to fix the first problem, please reply or send me an email at (email removed to foil spambots).

Thanks in advance peoples. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Btw, im a noobie so if i broke any rules, keep the flaming to a minimum thanks. >.>
Moderator Edit: email removed to prevent further spambot harvesting. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 January 2007 - 11:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shinji1146

shinji1146

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:55 PM

hey im new too, but maybe i can help you out.
have you tried to use system restore on the limited account or will it not let you?
also, what does the "little screen" say?
you cant change the non-administrator to an administrator.

#3 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

Can she log in as the "real" administrator? In XP Home this is done via safe mode (usually tap F8 at boot) and on Pro tell her to press control-alt-delete twice at the welcome screen to bring up the user log in dialog. Many OEMs default to: user "Administrator" and the password is blank. She may have set a real admin password if she installed XP herself. If she can log into that account, this is easy.
She can take ownership of all files and folders:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;Product=winxp
and edit user accounts as needed.
HTH
Johanna
ps...edit your email out of your post to avoid even more spam. People should contact you on the board so that others can learn, and if someone needs to talk privately, they can click on your name to send you a PM.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#4 mcnnowak

mcnnowak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:39 PM

Ok. Thanks people.
@Shinji: No, she cant restore on the limited account and i dont know what the little screen says...
@Johanna: Im gonna try it in safe mode for her... shes computer challenged >.>

@both Thanks.

Edited by mcnnowak, 05 January 2007 - 11:40 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:06 AM

If you can get into safe mode, I'd not bother with changing the account status but would go straight to a system restore to a point just before the problem starts. However, given the symptoms you have described, I'm already very suspicious of an infection and it is possible that the system restore won't work. I would strongly suggest NOT changing the limited account to an admininstrative one as this may increase the spread of the infection.

Questions: What security programs are on the system? Have any scans been done? If so, which ones?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 mcnnowak

mcnnowak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

Problem Fixed o.O Thanks everyone.

Btw, i did an Xoftspy scan and she had 806 identified items lol. >.>

Edited by mcnnowak, 06 January 2007 - 03:42 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

FWIW - At work we don't rely on just one scan. We run at least 3 separate antivirus scans and 5 separate antispyware scans. And we still miss some stuff! (rootkits especially!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users