Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraudfix Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Popcornelius

Popcornelius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

Hi,
I've got those isamini.exe, isamonitor.exe etc files. Read alot of topics in this forum, but none of those solved my problem, because
I can't start smitfraudfix.exe. It says "It's not valid win32 application".
Tried that in "safe mode" after extracting .zip file. It said "process.exe" file is missing, thou i had my antivirus program turned off while extracting the .zip file.
Please help :thumbsup: what i am doing wrong? How to make that program work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:55 AM

Welcome to BC Popcornelius :thumbsup:

Since you are having difficulties getting this program to work, I suggest you follow the directions in this guide. Then create an HJT log, you will find the directions in the guide.

Create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log.

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

The "Process.exe file missing error message means you did not extract the smitfraudfix file properly. When you extract the file it should create a folder containing 12 files to include SmitfruadFix.cmd and Process.exe. Open the folder and check to make sure you have all the files. If not, read "How to create and extract a ZIP File in Windows". If you need an unzipping utility, download 7zip (its free).

If the files are all there but you don't see the .cmd or .exe extensions, you have Windows configured to Hide extensions for known file types. If you look at the file Type column in Windows Explorer, smitfraudfix will be listed as "Windows NT Command Script" and all the others will be listed as "Application".

Is the SmitfraudFix on your desktop? If not, move it there and try again. Also verify that you have a cmd.exe in C:\Windows\system32 and then double-click on it to confirm it will open. If your still having problems getting the tool to work in safe mode, then go ahead and run the tool in normal mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Popcornelius

Popcornelius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:40 AM

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:
Computer works well now, no more malware warnings etc., it's great

Thanx again!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

Your welcome.

Now that your system is clean you should SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent reinfection from an old restore point. Any malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to set a new RESTORE POINT:
1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
4. Click "OK".
5. Click the "More Options" Tab.
6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Secure Your Home Computer - A guide for online users".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users