Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Scanner And Camera Wizard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 welshphil

welshphil

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:19 AM

Hi there, not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes. I'm running windows xp home and recently became infected with the smitfraud virus, I removed it using smitfraudfixand everything seemed ok, however when I try to download photos from my digi camera I cannot get microsoft scanner and camera wizard to operate, it will allow me to transfer pics using the cameras own software but I prefer the Ms version. Everything worked fine before the virus infection and i'm using the same camera, i've tried re-installing the utilities cd but that didn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance for any replies.

Phil :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

I have heard of other people having this problem and apparently it can be fixed using the Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard. I should note, however, that I have never used this repair wizard myself.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 welshphil

welshphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Budapest, I ran this programme and its half cured the problem!! The programme identified a problem and said that it repaired the problem. When I plug in my camera the camera and scanner wizard now kicks in asking what action I want to take, when I ask it to transfer the pics nothing happens!!

So near yet so far!! :thumbsup:

#4 welshphil

welshphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

Forgot to mention that I ran the programme again and it said there were no problems!!

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

You wouldn't happen to have RealPlayer installed on your system?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 welshphil

welshphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

Yes i have real player installed.......

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:13 AM

Okay, have heard of a lot of people having this problem with RealPlayer. Try this and let us know if it works:

Open RealPlayer, and select the Tools menu.
Choose Preferences.
In the Category pane under Automatic Services select Message Center.
Select Configure Message Center.
Uncheck all items in the window that appears.
Click OK twice to save your changes, and close any other windows.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 welshphil

welshphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

I've deleted real player from my pc (never use it anyway), unfirtunately the problem is still the same :thumbsup:

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

Just one thing - did you reboot after removing RealPlayer?

Check your camera documentation to see if it has different transfer modes. If so set it to PTP and see if that helps.

The only other suggestion I have is to clean your registery. Before you do this please note that a lot of people recommend NOT to mess with the registery if you don't know what you're doing. Having said that I've used CCleaner to clean my registery loads of times with no problem.

Dowload, install and run CCleaner.
Select the Options button, Advanced and check Show prompt to backup registry issues.
Select the Issues button and check everything shown.
Select Scan for Issues.
After if has finished scanning select Fix Selected Issues.
Select Yes to backup the registry.
The let it fix all the issues found.

If this doesn't work I'm all out of ideas.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users