Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Hardware Checklist

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sadistic

Sadistic

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:59 AM

To be installed:

Asus n570 board
2x512 6400 ddr2 ram
ATI x1900XT card
420 Watt pwr supply

Please add anything to this checklist, whether it's hardware, software, tools, precaution, safety, trouble-shooting (have you done a similar install?), afterthoughts.

Tools:

Various flat headed screwdrivers and jewelery sized screw drivers.
Anti-static wrist band + mat.
Non-metal mini clamps/prongs.
A big, long printed guide to assist.

Precaution:

Computer entirely unplugged from socket.
Installation on wooden floor + mat.
No children in the local vicinity.
Telephones unplugged.
Eat before hand, no blood/sugar level dropping.
Headband, to avoid persperation in/on parts.
All cotton clothing or naked? Hmm if I get shocked and pass out, not sure I want the police finding me naked, I have to draw the line somewhere.....

Software:

Latest Asus drivers ( I fear installing the board then getting BSOD screens, and having to somehow get online with safe mode..ugh).
Latest Radeon drivers

These are things have done or will be done, any help be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

Have you checked memory compatibility? Most manufacturers have some kind of memory search on their websites (like Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Patriot).

Also, when you replace the motherboard you might have to reinstall windows.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:04 AM

Have you checked memory compatibility? Most manufacturers have some kind of memory search on their websites (like Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Patriot).

Also, when you replace the motherboard you might have to reinstall windows.

Not might... Must. A call to the local Microsoft office should resolve these issues..

Also check our freeware section ( link in my sig) for any hardware related programs you might want to install

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

Naked or not depends on:
1) How attractive you are and,
2) Will there be photos of the procedure. Will they be for sale?

Just kidding! :thumbsup: Looks like you've taken everything into account! Just watch out for Mr. Murphy sticking his head in there and fouling up things for you! Good Luck!

A few more things that may help (from my experiences):
1) A complete image of your hard drive (should something turn it toast while you're working). You should also backup your data - just in case the image goes South on you.
2) Remove any devices from the Windows installation (just before the last shutdown in the old mobo) that won't be present in the new installation. This will help to boot or will help with a repair install to get Windows up and running.
3) A copy of the installation/restore CD's for your OS/computer
4) Check to ensure that your processor is the same socket as the motherboard.
5) Will a 420 watt power supply be enough? It may be enough for just what you're running - but will accommodate any later changes (such as better or more video cards?)
6) Make sure you know which sockets to place the DDR2 RAM into - on some boards it's a bit confusing.
7) Access to an alternate computer with a high speed internet connection. It'll need USB or a CD writer if you need to download anything extra. You an also use it to post problems so that we can suggest solutions.
8) Do not use a sledgehammer to install anything (hasn't worked for me)! Don't stand in a bathtub full of water and holding the computer while it's plugged in (it tingles - a lot!)! Don't run with scissors (Mom told me that)! :huh:

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 05 January 2007 - 11:02 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sadistic

Sadistic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

Thanks bunchies!

Not sure on those pictures..I don't have a husband but, I think I'll pass for now :thumbsup:

I liked all the links, and I found all the stuff about making an image, one time copy of restore discs, as well as I have a small extra drive in here that has a recovery set already on it.

I have decided to upgrade an identical version of this comp first as a test of the smaller issues, new ram, new graphics card etc.

I will be using a 500watt pwr supply instead, and doing further research to see if I can get by with just reactivating the OEM for XP recovery if and when I do a mobo swap.

Turns out that this stock board has a PCI E, but Xp doesn't recognize it because it's disabled in the BIOS.

HMMMM I feel like smacking someone...besides myself.

I'm going to make a new somewhat related post, if I can't find info in the back-threads, so please check it out!

Holly

Edited by Sadistic, 05 January 2007 - 01:02 PM.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

John you´re a dog...Posted Image
OK Sadistic ( only as a nick I hope) we will await further news from this "thrilling "project... Simply continue this post as to get replies.

#7 Sadistic

Sadistic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

The other thread I mentioned needs to be deleted, if someone could do that; mine posted about 533 vs 800 DDr2.

What will happen if I put 2x 1gig ram into slot 1 and 2 DIMM and then 2x 512 in slot 3 and 4?

Total ram = 3gig, but will they both pair up to dual channel?\

Holly

Edited by Sadistic, 05 January 2007 - 07:06 PM.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

Windows is probably only detecting 960mb of ram because of shared video ram. For instance, the motherboard probably has some sort of integrated graphics that uses 64mb (1024mb-64mb=960mb) The only way to fix this is to get a graphics card,but I don't think 64mb would make a difference.

Sorry, I can't really help with anything else.

Edit: Oops, I guess you figured this out. I posted when you edited.

Edited by Sterling14, 05 January 2007 - 07:11 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 Sadistic

Sadistic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:19 AM

Yes you are correct, it's subtracting for the shared memory :thumbsup:

I also was able to conlcude that the current sticks are running in dual channel, and that adding different size modules will not run the other pair in dual channel, BUT, if they are the same size(manufacturer different) it WILL run all four in dual mode.

The front side stayed the same, and even if it has moved down from TI to T2, I couldnt possibly tell with an 8800 GTS running.

I am having another issue that I'm concerned I may never get an answer to.

On the original computer I mentioned to upgrade, I wanted to see what flexibility I had with swapping a mobo in a prepackaged computer.
I moved past that and wanted to find identical replacement memory sticks. I was able to read the part/reg # off the physical sticker and also get a name.

Promos(woo, junK!) V916764K24QAFW-E4 They come off the A8M2N-LA mobo also code named NodusM-GL8E

I've tried asking Asus, HP, Compaq and others and have had no luck. Web searched, tried using Crucial Memory scan program and others, no luck. The closest thing I could find was with this one American company, that mentioned about approved memory modules, and Promos was on there for something, but not this model.

I would use something other than the IDENTICAL sticks, but I don't know what's compatible at this point.

Edited by Sadistic, 06 January 2007 - 09:33 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

Try this link to see how the sticker is read, that'll give you an idea of what speed you need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1GB-2x-512MB-ProMos-pc...8QQcmdZViewItem
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users