Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Wireless Adapter's Installation Cd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 teabie

teabie

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:37 AM

Hello folks,

I own a DLink DWL-G122 wireless USB adapter for my laptop.

In the past, upon slotting the gadget into any of the USB ports, there will be a light to signal that the gadget is connected and recognised by the OS. I have used the installation CD to perform a proper installation.

I think, after performing a System Restore a couple of weeks ago, the entire program has disappeared. As I have been travelling between 2 countries, I left my installation CD behind and now, I desperately need the gadget to work.

I've tried visiting DLink's website to download the relevant drivers, which I did and then executed the program to install. The AirPlus Utility is installed, but upon double-clicking it, there is no response.

Whenever I insert the gadget into any of the USB ports, it is always with the same message: USB Device Not Recognised.

I have tried opening up Device Manager, clicked on the Properties of the Unknown Port and tried to install the drivers manually, but to no effect. I tried Windows Update but to no effect either.

So, I'm left wondering... are the drivers useless unless I have the Installation CD? If so, how can I get a copy of the CD alone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

Normally the CD or software drivers are availiable from the manufacturers website.

The software really needs to be installed before the device is attached of the driver will be searched from the windows database of drivers. It will not find the correct ones and will try to find the closest match. This will normally stop the device from working. The Problem you will have is that now you have installed the software the DLL and inf files will have been added to the specified locations and will be hard to find as these are designated by the software.

If it is possible to easiest solution would be to go ack to the restore point and load the software before connecting the device.

I hope this helps.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users