Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning Message In My Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmontana

jmontana

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:37 AM

I have a Toshiba Sattelite A10, I need to know if any body knows about this message I get after I turn on the computer: I get a Warning Message saying (warning: a problem with the cooling system has been detected) does this mean that my cpu fan is out or ? do I have to open up the lap top to see, If any fans are out, or is there a way to diagnose the problem with out opening up the laptop, can any body help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:42 AM

First check if this is a serious problem or a minor one, basiclaly if upon startup your heat goes out of control or not, THis can be done by accessing the BIOS menu, by pressing delete upon startup

once you enter BIOS, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING THAT IS NOT SPECIFIED, as any changes made to this, may in fact worsen your computer

In Bios go to Power
Under power go to hardware monitor..

under that check your CPU and motherboard temperature..it should be htere...

Also if it is listed, Check the Target CPU temperature, this is hte temp that your CPU will start degrading at

Do this upon first startup and even after reading this reply, To see if its a serious problem or not

it could easily be a false alarm and just be a lose wire or something that has nothing to do with it, Just some suggestions

You may in fact have to crack it open if its a serious issue, To see what's up,

I perosnally would crack it open just to check if anythings out of the ordinary , But that's just my way of doing it :thumbsup:

get back to me on the Temperature listing though :flowers:

PS
to ensure nothing is changed in bios accidentally upon finishing what I have siad, PRess esc and it should come up with a box saying Exit without saving changes? click yes

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:51 AM

Hi jmontana, welcome to BC.
Toshiba's are notorious for overheating due to failed fans and clogged heatsinks.
To get at them in your notebook is a simple operation and you should clean them before you do anything else first. See this basic guide on the A10\A15 for the procedure. You need not remove all the covers shown, just the cpu cover. If afterwards you hear the fan running and still recieve the warning, it most likely is due to a bad sensor on the motherboard. If it is not "actually" overheating but giving a false warning instead (not likely but possible), then you can disable the warning. Not something I would recommend under any circumstances however. If someday it "really" does overheat, it could cook itself before you have a chance to stop it. Laptops take a pretty good performance hit when they're running too hot so if you are seeing a visible slowdown, it's overheating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users