Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Info

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

i know how to access safe mode via the f8 method.
i would like to acquire as much info about all the features and options available immediately following the msdos screen (the screen with the flashing dash in the upper right hand corner).
what i am hoping for, is as many tutorials and articles as i can get. i wish to become as close to an expert as i can be.
to be fair, i will also be posting this request on other sites. i hope it's ok. i would also be willing to share any info with anybody who wants it. Ed James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

Is this link of any help to you?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

I'd be interested in this myself. If you've got any hints on how to load things as Safe Mode starts, there's several posts here that could use this (running virus removal utilities before the virus shuts the system down).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

budapest,
i know how to get in safe mode via the f8 method. to go a little off-track, it would be nice to know if there is any other way to get in safe mode with an xp. my win98 had another method. i think it involved a cmd prompt. it was a long time ago. thanks for the reply.

usasma,
you're thinking the same thing i am. most posts on IT sites about safe mode are about someone using safe mode because of malware. there is much more in there to know about. thanks, Ed James

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

Some versions of Windows will allow you to boot in Safe Mode by holding down the CTRL key instead of tapping the f8.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:34 AM

that's a new one on me. thanks jgweed. Ed James

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

There's a free program called BootSafe that allows you to do this automatically: http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html (you've gotta use it to exit Safe Mode or it'll reboot into Safe Mode again).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:11 AM

Some more information on Safe Mode which may be of interest to you:

- Safe Mode does not run the autoexec.bat or config.sys files.
- Instead of the normal graphics device driver, Safe Mode uses standard VGA graphics mode. This mode is supported by all Windows-compatible video cards.
- Himem.sys, which is normally loaded as part of the config.sys script, is loaded with the /testmem:on switch. This switch tells the computer to test the extended memory before continuing.
- Windows boots using a batch file called system.cb instead of the standard system.ini file. This file loads the Virtual Device Drivers (VxDs) that Windows uses to communicate with the standard parts of the computer.
Windows now loads the regular system.ini file plus win.ini and Registry settings. It skips the [Boot] (except for the shell and device lines) and [386Enh] sections of system.ini and does not load or run any programs listed in win.ini.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:20 AM

You can also get into Safe Mode by using the System Configuration Tool Method, described in this Tutorial, if using Win98 and newer versions:
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:18 AM

good to hear from everybody again.

usasma,
i took your advice from a previous sticky and have already downloaded it.

budapest,
i think i read that same similar info at howstuffworks. the suggestion is appropriate. all that material needs to be investigated by me.

tg1911,
a good blast from the past. my win98 had a similar method that i nearly wore out. i have an obsession with scanning in safe mode.

thanks everybody. Ed James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users