Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abnormal Program Termination

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Newslady

Newslady

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:58 PM

This started about a 6 weeks ago on the office manager's computer. She has complained to me, so I finally had the opportunity to go and take a look at the computer myself.

Here's what is happening: when she goes to log in to a specific site (it is the multiple listing service for our area) she gets this message after entering her log in and passwird and clicking "log in":

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

Debug Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\explore.exe

abnormal program termination

(Press Retry to debug the application)
[color=#3333FF]

When you press any option, retry, cancel, or ignore IE just shuts down.

I asked her if this happens with any other website and she said yes, on occasion. She said she could be working away online and it will suddenly happen. But this particular website she has not been able to log in to for about 6 weeks. I asked if this happened after she did any in particular, like new software or anything and she said no. I don't know about that.

Today I downloaded and ran Ad Aware and Spybot S & D. I was following the steps for Preparation to post a HiJack this log. I got to the Panda scan before we had to close the office.

overall she is a safe "surfer". Uses the computer for work purposes, not "dangerous" surfing. This computer was purchased and installed last summer. It is a Dell desktop computer running Win XP hooked up to the office network.

I am online tonight to see what I can find out about this particular error message and thought I would start here. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:16 AM

Which version of IE are you using?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Newslady

Newslady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

I know it is not the new version, version 7. So I am assuming it is the version before that. Where would I click to figure that out?

Thanks!

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

When in IE,Click Help/About Internet Explorer,and you should see the version that is running.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Newslady

Newslady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:27 PM

Got it! Here is the version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.050622-1524.

Thanks!

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

In case you are an AOL member KLick

In case of any 3rd party add-ons Klick

In case of other issues Klick

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

Have a look at this Micro$oft article titled How To Debug CGI Using Visual C++ Just-In-Time Debugger.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

Unless the user is actually creating and maintaining the website in question, debugging it should not be the concern of the user. There are settings in IE to shut off the debugging. The pathway I'm going to write out for you should closely resemble the pathway for IE6. I've got IE7, so there might be some slight differences, but you will know what to look for.

If you have IE open, click on Tools --> Internet Options. Now click on the Advanced tab. Here is where the differences may lie. On mine, under Browsing there are two options that should both have green checks by them: Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer) and Disable Script Debugging (Other). If I remember correctly, in IE6 there is an option something like "tell me about every error". This option wants to be unchecked.

Hope this helps.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Newslady

Newslady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hello all! The problem is fixed! Here's what I did:

I went to the forum that fozzie suggested and I found posts on the same problem I am having. They were all talking about google toolbars as possibly being the problem, so I searched her computer for any google things she had installed and deleted them. She had Google Earth. I uninstalled that. It didn't fix the problem.

One post made the following suggestion - Internet Options, Advanced, turn off 3rd party browsing. That worked for me!

I'm sorry TMack - I read the article you suggested but I didn't understand it.

Orange Blossom - I will keep your suggestion handy in case the problem returns.

Thank you all!!!!!

#10 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:14 AM

Great newslady thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users