Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

horizontal lines across screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 motomaniac

motomaniac

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:49 PM

I'm running XP, I started having horizontal "shadow" lines across my screen. Especially when using Word, or something with a light background and dark text lines. There is just a shadow all the way across the screen where the text(or dark object) is.

I bought a new Samsung 190s monitor. It still does it. Any clues?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:25 PM

If you already replaced the monitor, then your video adapter drivers are the next most likely suspect.

Locate the driver for your video adapter, whether on your motherboard cd, from the website or just let XP do it. Go into Device Manager, click on Video Adapter then remove. Reboot. XP will see your video adapter and more than likely install drivers. If you would rather use a different driver go back to your Video Adapter in Device Manager, highlight it and click on Properties>Update Driver and install the better driver from there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 motomaniac

motomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 09:21 AM

Ok, I updated the driver and got no change at all.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 10:10 AM

Next up is your AGP card. The thing you just updated the drivers on..........

Your agp card or video card is where your monitor is plugged in.

How old is this pc? Kinda weird it would be fried since you are using xp??

Still its funny. Will these lines only come up in certain programs or just every so often or all the time?

If you could take a screenshot and post it here so I might see. A screenshot should show me what you see.

To do a screenshot just hit the printscreen key and then open paint. Next hit and hold the CTRL key and while holding CTRL hit the C key. Your screenshot should appear.

If not go to edit then hit paste.

Then save a a JPEG file and upload the image to http://www.imageshack.us

I hope you got all of that. I just want to see the lines.

Thanks

#5 motomaniac

motomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 09:44 PM

Here's my webpage with a jpg file named "screenshot"

http://webpages.charter.net/erikandkelli/

This computer is about 4 years old. The lines are there all the time, no matter what program. Also, now since I tried updating the drivers, I've notice vertical "bands?" through the screen where text gets a little fuzzy. There are about three of these across the screen and they're about an inch or so wide.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 10:51 PM

If its not the monitor it has to be must be the AGP card. I could be wrong but I dont believe I am.

I replaced the one in my old pc well upgraded.

They arent much. Are you familiar with chips like a AGP card and how they plug int your pc?

#7 motomaniac

motomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:13 PM

No, I've never done it before, but I'm fairly confident that I could. Care to tell me what to buy? I could probably figure out where it goes.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:34 PM

Can you give us some info on your PC. Particularily the motherboard (the model number is important), CPU and Ram. Many computers use on board video and have different types of slots. That will determine the Video card that you can use.

You can download and run Everest Home Edition or Belarc Advisor and they will give details of your system.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:40 PM

If the screen shot does not show the lines, then it is hardware related. Just thought I would mention that.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:56 PM

Ok I got my backup were set thanks jason!

I just dont want to be the only one to say something and be wrong(I knew I was right ooyah!) and then the person buy it and hey it didnt fix it!

Nah not your case. Do what LEURGY said and report back we will get you set up!

#11 motomaniac

motomaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:30 PM

Ok, I posted a screen shot of my system analysis. It's on my page :

http://webpages.charter.net/erikandkelli/

It's a jpg called "system"

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:48 AM

Belarc shows your motherboard to be an Asus A7V-VM but Asus doesn't make such a board. However, they do have an A7VI-VM so that is most likely the one.

According to Asus Support, in order to replace your video drivers you need to first remove them through add/remove programs. Do you have the CD for the MB? What drivers are you using for the reinstall or did you just let XP put them in?

Since this is on-board video, lets try to get the proper driver in there before we talk about a new video card.

When did this problem manifest itself? Since you installed XP? Asus does not offer video drivers for XP on their site and NVidia tells you to use the MB drivers, so I'm thinking this is a driver problem.

Edited by Leurgy, 04 January 2005 - 08:51 AM.

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:02 AM

LEURGY Im Glad you said to check specs now I see they were onboard memory and not a card!

In the mean time I will be looking into some worthy cards to show here.....

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:23 AM

Hi CGM3

This board has three PCI slots and an AGP. I hear that video cards are going back to PCI, so it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

BTW, I guess you heard they found another case of mad cow disease up here. I know you have cows so I guess this is a concern. Also noticed on the news this AM that a relief plane was landing in Indonesia somewhere and ran into a herd of cows on the runway, closing the airport. I'll bet they are REALLY mad cows. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users