Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All 3d Games Crashing On Xp Home And Sttb

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fanglet_Feuer

Fanglet_Feuer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

So, I feel terribly lame for having to seek out help for this, but it appears that my computer, as usual, hates me deeply and that I cannot play anything more advanced than sidescrolling games and a Sega Genesis emulator on my PC.

Kinda saddening considering the fact that I'm a WoW addict and I only got to play it for about ten minutes before my comp rebooted.

I built the computer myself, and it was working fine for a short while. I figured that if it were the video card, (a 128MB, btw) it wouldn't display anything 3D in a game such as Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, in which the character creation screens have 3D models, with completely functional physics. (Turning the character in place makes fabric move, depending upon how fast you drag the mouse, and so forth...)

So, my next guess is memory. Perhaps something is wrong with it, though, if that be the case, I couldn't tell from my own experience.

I've run a disk defrag in an attempt to improve performance, my video card's features are maxed out on performance, and I've lowered the graphics settings on all my games to the minimum.

Still, on Windows XP Stripped To The Bone and on XP Home, I have no luck. It's still unstable, and my games still crash within five minutes of being started. Rarely, the game will just close, but most of the time, the screen goes black and the computer restarts without warning.

Any suggestions? What might be the problem? What can I try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fanglet_Feuer

Fanglet_Feuer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

Btw, my SN for Yahoo is fang_stryfe, and I'm usually signed in but invisible, if anyone would like to contact me there.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

First of all try Memtest. Do the long test ( overnight) and post the results.

#4 Fanglet_Feuer

Fanglet_Feuer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

First of all try Memtest. Do the long test ( overnight) and post the results.

Could you perhaps explain how this thing works? Or maybe what the hell it is before I download it?

Edited by Fanglet_Feuer, 04 January 2007 - 08:06 PM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

Memtest is a utility that will test your memory to find out of there is anything wrong with it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:33 AM

Memtest is a utility that will test your memory to find out of there is anything wrong with it.

Correct, It basically will check for anything out of the ordinary with your memory, and tell you fi theres something serverly wrong

As with most gaming related questions, I must ask, Drivers, They updated and installed correctly? as this is the cause of most problesm with gaming related issues such as crashing, Terrible response, Or whatever :thumbsup:

IF they are updated and not producing problems, I would then check your video card, Clean it off if needed, then reinstall it

Since you have built it yourself, I am sure youa re well aware of everything in it, So I must ask, Does your computer meet the requirements for each game, I know WoW takes a memory load along with a decent card, BUt the other ones I cannot comment on

Toss up some info for me, so I can see what Im dealing with,

Info such as

Processor, Vid card model (anything relevant to it), PSU, RAM type and amount, and mobo

Also have you done aynthing as of recently that is severe enough to cause something like this to occur? if anything rings a bell Say what :flowers:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

I'd also suggest resetting your video card to default values - this will make the troubleshooting process much easier. And, when you max it out again, you'll be able to tell if it's the settings that are causing it.

If there isn't a "return to default" option, you can set the options to the minimum and work from there (don't forget to disable hardware acceleration also).

All this will help to eliminate the vid card as a part of the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users