Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot V 1.4

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:05 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I ran an update of my Spybot (am currently running v 1.3). I think it was at that time that v 1.4 became available and for some reason, I didn't complete the installation...result of which is that the application is sitting on my desktop. I am still able to get updates to 1.3. Should I, and if so, how do I, install 1.4? Is this new version related in any way to Microsoft's recent update to Explorer (7) which I haven't installed yet? (14.8 mb download even possible via dialup connection?!) Am running Windows XP Home, SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

How to install 1.4
http://antivirus.k-state.edu/spybot/index.html

From the Spybot Forum:
I personally recommend that you uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3 as follows before installing Spybot 1.4 (sounds long but only takes two or three minutes).

Download the installation program for Spybot-S&D 1.4 (spybotsd14.exe) first.

Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3:
Go into Spybot > Immunize
Click "Undo" button (at the top)
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
"Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file
Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)

Exit Spybot-S&D
Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.

Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3" > Remove.
Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Optional (not necessary if reinstalling) - If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that. See the following article:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html
The direct download link is:
remove-spybotsd-settings.reg (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)
Download the file.
Double click on it
Answer Yes then OK

Optional (not necessary if reinstalling) - Delete the Configuration.ini fileThe Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Install Spybot-S&D 1.4:
Execute spybotsd14.exe download above.
Do not change the default installation path of:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Edited by buddy215, 04 January 2007 - 01:47 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

Thanks much, Buddy. Actions completed, per your direction. Only surprise was to discover that after all the actions were performed, including deletion of the program, I still found it residing in Program Files, using Windows Explorer. Why does that happen? Also, I performed the Immunize function after downloading Spybot's updates. Anything else you recommend I should enable or disable in the advanced stuff?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:34 PM

Is this new version related in any way to Microsoft's recent update to Explorer (7) which I haven't installed yet?

Spybot 1.4 has been out significantly longer than IE7. I installed Spybot 1.4 sometime in 2005.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

You can delete the old install file for Spybot.
Under "Resident" you may want to enable the "bad download blocker" and "Teatimer". Without knowing what other security programs you have, I am reluctant to recommend those as the functions they perform could be a duplicate of another of your programs. If you would like to, post what security programs you have and whether they are free versions or paid versions.
Don't forget to check for updates once a week. Spybot normally updates every Friday. Very important.

Edited by buddy215, 04 January 2007 - 06:52 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:46 AM

..post what security programs you have and whether they are free versions or paid versions.
Don't forget to check for updates once a week. Spybot normally updates every Friday. Very important.

Am running free versions of AVG, Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware and Spybot, thanks to advice from the Bleeping folks. Am also a good girl about doing updates and checks.

Thanks again, Buddy215, for whatever additional advice you may have for me.

#7 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:49 AM

Spybot 1.4 has been out significantly longer than IE7. I installed Spybot 1.4 sometime in 2005.

Yikes, OB, where have I been? Is it possible that 1.4 was only recently offered me via the "Search for Updates" option? I've updated my Spybot at least once weekly, forever. :flowers:

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,989 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:03 AM

I don't remember how I became aware of Spybot 1.4 It may have been through the university's Security Programs page or it may have been through program updates. If the former, it is possible that Spybot didn't inform users of the 1.4 upgrade until recently.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:48 AM

OK, For some real time protection, choose Windows Defender, Teatimer, or WinPatrol.
Of course, Firefox with NoScript extension will protect you from bad ActiveX (Firefox doesn't use active x) and driveby installs of malware. Using McAfee SiteAdvisor is a good idea, too.
They are all free!

#10 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

OK, For some real time protection, choose Windows Defender, Teatimer, or WinPatrol.
Of course, Firefox with NoScript extension will protect you from bad ActiveX (Firefox doesn't use active x) and driveby installs of malware. Using McAfee SiteAdvisor is a good idea, too.

I should choose just one--WinDef, Teatimer or WinPatrol, correct?
I've done my settings (again, in accordance w/Bleeping's recs) to prompt me on all Active X items...only ones I generally allow are to open .pdf files and when on Microsoft's site, to do security, etc. updates.
Over and out 'til there's a "next time", with great appreciation.
...Kat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users