Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spysheriff

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Therapy

Therapy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

OK, so I was stupid enough to download SpySheriff. :thumbsup:

I tried to remove it from Add/Remove Programs (Windows 2000) and did not succeed. So I found a trial version of F-Secure and installed it and let it check my whole computer. I think it removed two files (or whatever...I'm no pro) and blocked some 84 files that were supposedly spyware. After this I restarted my computer and was actually able to remove SpySheriff thru Add/Remove Programs. Or at least I got a message on my screen stating "Thank you for using SpySheriff" or something like that. And it was gone.

Since that there has been no signs of it, at least not on my taskbar. I haven't been getting any messages nor has my desktop changed in any way. I haven't noticed any other funny business going on either.

So my question is, did I actually manage to remove SpySheriff, or is it still hiding somewhere in my system? When I still definitely had it on my computer it didn't show much signs of itself, just a random message on the taskbar so I'm not very confident of my sudden success. Especially since I know close to a nothing about computers.

Will appreciate any help!

Edited by Therapy, 04 January 2007 - 12:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

Review the BC Self-help Removal Guide; this will insure that it was completely removed:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52345/how-to-remove-spyware-sheriff-and-antispylab/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Therapy

Therapy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:01 PM

Thanks a lot John!

Allright, did as instructed -almost. Except that I did not wait the computer to reboot, I was being too quick as I tend to. I restarted it, because I'm a dimwit and don't read the instructions properly... Should I try again? Anyhow, the logfile says:

Initializing...
c:\IBMTOOLS\UPDATER\*US*Coping Folder...
Removing Folder...
FindFirst
Invalid Handle
Removing Directory...
Closing...

And the rapport:

SmitFraudFix v2.132

Scan done at 22:34:52,17, to 04.01.2007
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is FAT32
Fix run in safe mode

Before SmitFraudFix
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

Killing process

Generic Renos Fix

GenericRenosFix by S!Ri

Deleting infected files

Deleting Temp Files

Winlogon.System

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

After SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

End

All clear?

Edited by Therapy, 04 January 2007 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users