Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Dvd Drive, And Question On Video Cards

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 behr

behr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

Recently reformatted, but now my DVD drive wont read DVD's. I put one in and it just loads like its doing the auto-run thing, forever. If I open a DVD playing program (windvd) or my computer and double click the icon, it freezes until I take the DVD out.
I remember I had this problem before when I first got the player, and all I had to do was download some program that fixed it, but I really cant remember ><
Oh, and Im not trying to watch a DVD, just install a game that is on a DVD.

oh, and I recently got a ASUS nvidea N6700GS video card. After upgrading, now my PC's %usage spikes up to 100% all the time. I believe it is a power source problem, as mine is only 300W. What would be a good wattage? Oh, and everytime I bott my PC, the video card resets, and I get a little icon that pops up and says that it has disable SLI because I dont have 2 cards ><. Any way to turn this off?

Thanks alot, having lots of problems lately, very frustrating.

Edited by behr, 04 January 2007 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

Insufficient power supplies don't cause usage spikes, they cause things to crash or not work at all.

The SLI message is a bug nVIDIA has fixed in newer driver versions.

Download the latest drivers (93.71 as of this writing) and Driver Cleaner; uninstall the old ones; restart and run Driver Cleaner; then install the new ones.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

So if the usage spike isnt a power source problem, what could it be?

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:49 AM

Malicious programs, programs that are running hell bent for no good reason at all you name it ..lol.. Ive sene my usage spike to 100% for no good reason at all really

First lets talk about the dvd problem, What kind of drive do you have,

Is everything plugged in right, I know, you only formatted and all , But this is just in case

Was there any DVD drivers you had to install, If so what were they?

To check for the power spike Do this simple method, go to task manager by pressing CTRL ALT DEL upon startup and go to the processes tab, and look for anything thats eating up your memory in a major way, and list it on here once you ahve found out what it is, That way I can see if its a spyware program or whatever that may have gotten in your system after the format

As far as your video card goes, did you check the power reuqirement before installing ? If so is it more than your Current PSU has? I will check it as soon as I get up in the mornign for now I gotta hit the sack but if you know the power that your card requires do post :thumbsup:

#5 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814121020
is the video card I got, doesnt mention anything about power required ><

DVD drive is a SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612
I double checked all plugs and things, seems fines back there.
I dont have any drivers for it, I just bought it at a flea market for 20$ off the shelf. I know it works, it did before I reformatted.
Under "My Computer" It labels the drive as CD Drive D:, which is odd, as before, when it worked, it showed as DVD drive.

I already installed a bunch of regular CDROM games, with the dvd drive, so Im assuming its drivers or something I dont understand ><
Thanks for the help so far

#6 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:31 AM

Im almost 100% sure that a 7600 requires a power supply of 400 W to work at full potential to you might need a new PSU in order to help that out, Shouldn't be anymore than like 130 bucks or so for that could be wrong though

Try doing the following

Unplug the IDE cable and power connector to your dvd drive, Restart without it, Then turn your computer off and replug it back in, and start it back up again

this should give your computer time to re recognize it, and it might actually owrk properly again :thumbsup:

#7 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

Tried that, no beans. I even tried uninstalling the Drive and reinstalling it.

The little windows thing pops up on the bottom, saying new hardware found, then it says DVD-ROM SAMSUNG etc, then it says your CD-ROM drive has been installed.

Very frustrated atm ><

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users