Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Is Off But Ports Are Still Blocked?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 azurecuzyeah

azurecuzyeah

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:28 AM

I recently had my computer cleaned by Shaba on these forums who did a great job at getting me running again. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75939&hl=ws.netsky)

I found an issue with a game i play called silkroad online. When I try to start the game it tries to auto update but it can't and says that it is probably down or under examination. I looked this error message up and usually deals with blocked ports. The only problem is that I have all my ports open. On my windows firewall I had the program under exceptions and it worked fine. At the moment the firewall is completely off and I still can't play. I also have the computer connect through a router and all ports are open and used to work. I also tried putting it in dmz with no luck. I am guessing that some of the programs I was suggested to install on my pc might have a firewall type feature that blocks some ports. The ones I did install were spybots search and destroy I thought its immunise feature was suspect but when i undo'ed it, the situation did not change. I also installed ad-aware se but i am not sure what other settings that could block.

My issue is that I have blocked ports that shouldn't be blocked and I don't know where to start to fix them.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by azurecuzyeah, 04 January 2007 - 01:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:16 AM

Can you tell us which security software you have on your PC ( Anti Virus/Anti Spyware/Firewall/Hostsfile?)

#3 azurecuzyeah

azurecuzyeah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:05 AM

All i have ever used is windows firewall.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

Some antivirus software has firewall stuff in it too such as Norton.

Do you have a router that you maybe have to enable the ports with?

#5 azurecuzyeah

azurecuzyeah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

no no i said that already. all ports are open on the router. and i have no antivirus stuff installed i used the online ones.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

Some programs like SpywareBlaster and Spybot block programs but not through ports. Are you sure it is ports being blocked and not addresses?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

if you are running windows xp you should get some sort of pop up that asks if you would like to unblock the program, also are you sure you forwarded the right ports? you can still have a firewall and antivirus software and still run silkroad (i know becuase i can).
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#8 azurecuzyeah

azurecuzyeah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

Well you two bring up a good point I don't know if its ports or addresses. I shouldn't be ip banned or anything and I don't know how I could be blocking addresses. On my router EVERY port is open @_@ (not safe but less headaches getting things to work.) I got the blocked xp port thing origionally but not anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users