Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard And Floppy Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

So, I turned on my computer, and it started with an error, "Floppy Drive Error (80)", and "Press F1 to continue". It's never stopped on the BIOS Version screen before.

Windows boots up, and when I try to enter my password, every key is doubled, meaning I can't log in.

I realize that I don't even use the floppy drive, so I opened the case and disconnected the power and removed the ribbon. Now, the error reads "Floppy Drive Error (40)" and the keyboard doesn't work at all.

I don't have another keyboard to test if it is in fact the keyboard, but the fact that the keyboard and the floppy drive errored when turning it on today (it worked perfectly last night) make me feel like something got fried.

Would I have to get a completely new computer if it is the motherboard? Could I try buying a USB keyboard? What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:16 AM

I would almost recommend putting forth some time and reinstalling everything or checking the connections of everything (*EDIT: if you have the know how to do so, if not don't bother*)

because your floppy and your keyboard tripping out at hte same time is kind of a random occurence indeed

since you dont' use your floppy, I don't see why its giving you an error,

and since you just used it hte other night fine, that seems odd

almost seems like something did fry on your motherboard overnight

DId you do anything major in the way of changes or anything? if so what were they

To answer your question though, if your motherboard is the problem, technically you owuld only have to replace it, if you knew how to take everything apart and reassemble it. if that's the only problem that is, Because you can disconnect all your drives, and use them with your new motherboard, You can take out your video, sound and network drivers, And you can take our your CPU core if you're really careful and don't break anything off, so I mean technically you can just replace the motherboard,

However if your motherboard is excessively old, or the brand is not made anymore then yea, you owuld have to replace quite a lot

I would definitely buy a new keyboard or borrow one from a friend if at all plausible, just to test out if you can run with a new keyboard or not, might actualyl save yourself some dough by doing this.. who knows,

if the new keybaord doesn't work though, then you know for sure its your motherboard and as such, time to replace :thumbsup: as I saw john write today PITA I know

that's the one major flaw I hate about computers, whens omething goes obsolete or breaks, Well, Fork over a load of cash to fix it

Edited by resp, 04 January 2007 - 01:17 AM.

#3 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

It was suggested that it could either be a virus or a keyboard malfunction. I'll test it with another keyboard (my friend is so generous!) and try to get rid of that floppy error if the keyboard works (because that means that all my problems were from random key presses). If others don't work, or mine works in another, then I'll go with the motherboard malfunction.

Oh, and my computer is from 2003, so it's time for an upgrade anyways ;)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:17 PM

If the POST is stopping at the floppy then there probably is an issue with it, that is the purpose of the POST. Is this keyboard a USB or PS2 connection? You might also clear the CMOS battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

judging by his first post Id say the one he has is PS2 as he did say

Could I try buying a USB keyboard?

#6 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:05 AM

It wasn't the keyboard.

I got a new one, $30, and when I turned on the machine, the monitor had a "no response" error. Then, when another family member tried to go on (after I told him repeatedly that it didn't work) and the fan started spinning, but no lights worked - I turned it off, and the fan turned off and the lights were on!

But, it's all good, because a business that I help out with is offering me a sweet system! They retail it for about $2000 and because they want to help me with my web designing they're cutting the price.

Yay for friends!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users