Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns Off Sometimes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tigala

tigala

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

when i play zdaemon or duke 3d and i play music on the comp and sometimes even when i dont the computer just fully goes off, its a laptop. when i turn it back on i have to hold down the on/off button and it goes on than back off than i do it again and it turns on like normal. this sometimes also happens when i watch a video on the net. any help of why and how to stop this would be great :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tigala

tigala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:26 PM

anyone?

#3 Mojinko

Mojinko

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

I've had similar problems to this, and I'd like to say that your laptop may be overheating, but I don't know how much heat laptops can handle. For me, I have to have 2 outside fans to cool my computer when I'm playing games with the small bedroom its in.

Edited by Mojinko, 03 January 2007 - 10:46 PM.

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:19 AM

its not about how much heat laptops per say can handle its how much the core and the vid card or whatever you have for one can handle

personally I think this is an overheating problem, if your laptop isn't built to handle that much then its more than liekly overheating, However, It might be able to ,

post some specs on it, Vid card, processor speed, Ram, HD size etc... so we can get a better understanding.. and then we might be able to help further

#5 tigala

tigala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

37gb hd
ati radeon igp 330m

Edited by tigala, 04 January 2007 - 12:37 AM.

#6 tigala

tigala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

oh 752mb ram and it says 1.72ghz memory
i edited cause i looked at the wrong things

Edited by tigala, 04 January 2007 - 12:36 AM.

#7 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:54 AM

Ok, Now, Im assuming that your laptops bios is close to the same as mine, far stretched idea, I know.. So what I want you to do is enter your bios and check the temperature of your mobo/CPU if it even has the options for it... which as I said, Yea not 100% sure

I warn you before you attempt any of this DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS IN BIOS as it might have a really bad effect on your computer, Could cause your computer to not work right, OR not turn on at all

If you are unsure of how to enter BIOS just, Restart your computer, And at the first screen for your motherboard press delete, Basically, Press it as soon as your computer starts up

in BIOS press your directional keys to go to Power

Under Power there should be (hoping) an option called hardware monitor

Under that you should find some raw stats on your computer, two of them being listed should be M/B temperature and CPU temperature, check them as they are now

Another listing Should be target CPU temperature,

This is the temperature that if your CPU reaches it starts degrading at, bsically below that nothing bad will happen, When you are about to approach it there'll start to be problesm and if you exceed it well, Boom....

ensure that your temperatures are normal

Now I want to do a test, But Im kind of skeptical at if it'll help fix the problem or make it worse, The test I wanted to do was to get you to do the same thing you say that causes it to crash, and then when it restarts, Check your CPU temperature in BIOS again

However, if its a temperature problem, THis might actually harm your computer more than do any good, So For now Ill say DONT DO IT

a couple other things that would be useful to know, What brand/model of laptop do you have? such as samsung, sony, dell, etc, And what model is it so that I can get a better understanding of it and its capabilities

and the second thing is your process, ID like to know about it

to find this
Go start --> control panel --> system

at the bottom fo the box there should be a listing called "Computer:" where it lists the brand of process, its raw speed, and the amount of ram etc, that you have

Post your brand
for me its "AMD athlon™ 64 3500+ processor at 2.21 ghz"

#8 tigala

tigala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:30 AM

will do ill post back in about 12 hrs or so thanks :thumbsup:

will do ill post back in about 12 hrs or so thanks :flowers: oh and its an ibm thinkpad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users