Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Powering Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 safetygrl23

safetygrl23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

I was reformating an old computer to Windows XP. In the middle of the reformat....it just died. I tried plugging the CPU into a different outlet ....but nothing. No lights no nothing.

What did I do???

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:22 PM

:inlove: What is the old computers mainboard specs? :thumbsup: :flowers:

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

Is the fan still spinning? try checking your power supply also, the fuse or some other component must have been blown. :trumpet:

Its very important to note the minimum requirements of Windows XP before an upgrade.
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#3 safetygrl23

safetygrl23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

No Fan...Nothing.

I guess it couldn't handle XP. I should have not loaded it...But what is done is done.

Is there a fuse inside the computer somewhere?? I checked the cord...and the outlet - They are both fine.

Thanks for your help!!

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

Does your power supply unit turn on or work at all?

is there any sense of smoke or that time of smell emitting from your computer?

I find it hard to believe that XP is what killed your computer, DO you have any specs for it? such as speed, ram, all that because you would have to have an exceedingly old computer in order for that to happen, And even so, I thiink it would warn you its not up to par before installing

somethign might've happened hardware wise such as a battery giving way, or something on the motherboard quitting

Put forth anything youc an in the way of computer specs, and if you see anything wrong with the inside
just some thoughts

#5 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

The fuse is in the power supply,
it seems the mainboard could be damaged, if the CPU fan isnt spinning or you dont hear any beeping sounds,
just salvage parts from the board that could be reused later and please dont repeat the same mistake again
Thanks and you have a blessed 2007 :thumbsup:
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users