Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are Options With A Broken Laptop Screen?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 knox

knox

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

Our Dell Inspiron 2200 was accidentally dropped the other day and it appears the LCD broke. While there does not appear to be physical damage from looking at the laptop when you power on the computer it the screen is all jacked up like a twisted UPC bar code.
Basically the screen is dead and I've looked around a little bit and to get it repaired is very expensive. In fact its probably not worth getting repaired.

Anyway, I was wondering/hoping if I'd be able to find either a spare Dell Inspiron Laptop screen somewhere to just replace the broken one myself. Are the Inspiron models all compatible? For example, if I can't find a 2200 screen/laptop cheap then would I be able to use a 2100 screen on it? The screen our laptop has is a 15inch, but does the 14inch screen physically fit just the same? For example I see an old Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop on Ebay (Can't tell what size screen) and would I be able to buy that and replace screen on my Inspiron 2200?

Thanks for any help. The wife is wanting a new laptop and I want to do everything in my power to fix existing one cheaply before doing that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

Id really like to say yes, Yes yes, to everything, But Im esriously not entirely sure if you can even take apart teh screen of a laptop and replace it manually without any serious wiring etc....

my guess would be you could take it apart and replace the screen with anything close to what it used to have, But again, I just want to make you not have to spend 3 grand so Im not 100% on that

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:35 AM

You can fix this yourself with a little patients. What you need to do is go to the Dell sight and find the replacement part number for the screen. If you give use the exact model and computer part number (not the serial number) I am sure someone here can find you a solution.
Bt the way, if you plug in a standard monitor to the VGA plug on the back of the computer you will be able to use it until you find a replacement screen.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 knox

knox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have plugged the laptop into a desktop pc for the time being. I'm yet to get ahold of Dell to look into a replacement screen; however, my searching for a solution is looking more and more like I might have to suck it up and call this one hopeless because so far it just seems very costly to replace the screen/lcd.

What is giving me some fits now is that with all the dell inspirons that have to be out there, there has got to be someplace or people advertising their old/used junk laptops that they are parting out. Yes, there is Ebay, but I haven't found anything on that and there is online stores, but they all seem to sell new LCD/screens (high cost) or a completely refurbished computer which is more costly than I was hoping for.

Anyway, thanks again for you advice.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

Hi knox.

Are the Inspiron models all compatible?

No.

The screen our laptop has is a 15inch, but does the 14inch screen physically fit just the same? For example I see an old Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop on Ebay (Can't tell what size screen) and would I be able to buy that and replace screen on my Inspiron 2200?

No. The three models below use the same display only (15" models)

Inspiron 1200
Inspiron 2200
Latitude 110L

It is dell part# T7976, even though Dell doesn't actually manufacture them.
Dell has refurbs for $215.00 but they are more likely just used instead.
I have bought a couple refurbed notebook displays from ScreenTek in the past. They are "true" refurbs but cost a bit more. They also sell new. Never had a problem with either one and they are both 3 and 4 years old respectively.

Edited by HitSquad, 04 January 2007 - 02:13 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

Check the local computer shops for:
1) old computers with similar LCD's
2) techs who are experienced at replacing them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users