Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Running Slower Than A Tortoise..

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

Hi, firstly I am going to list some of the symptoms followed by what actions I have run to try to sort them out.

I think it might be of importance to note that I have just found out that my XP is not genuine.. I know, I am a fool!)

On Start up:
1. Win Defender no longer available - fine, I have disabled it but on startup, het the usual error 0x800106ba.
2. I am suddenly getting a message saying about Windows File Protection etc etc.

Other:

1. Low on Virtual Space (what is this??)
2. Spyguard notifies me of potential hijack protection alert, mainly about IE search bar being changed from .... to/...do I want to keep mew, or restore old. I get about 10 or so of these at one time

Major Problems:

1. My entire system is literally crawling along, internet, outlook, windows, task manager etc, loading time is beyond human patience. You name it. Even opening a new tab is ridiculous, and all attempts to open a program or file etc results in the new page temporarily opening and sort of hiding the initial page.
2. Many programs freeze and then "program not responding etc etc " Even the mouse pointer keeps freezing. And just scrolling down a page is also a problem.
3. The actual processer (have totally had a major mind blanj for the proper name), makes a constant noise, I believe which is made by the fans. But, it has plenty of air, and the (box thingy !?) is relatively cool. I am thinking (perhaps in my ignorance) that what is happening here is that the pc is working overtime due to whatever problems there are.

Actions Taken so far:

I have run AVG anti spyware, and anti virus, along with CCleaner, and Spybot. All of these, except CCleaner took over an hour to complete the scans, and the results all cam e back with no problems.

I am currently running disk defrag, and so far have only reached 17% of the process and I started it about 40 mins ago, and I in no doubt that everyone knows that this process normally runs fairly quickly.

I have been doing loads of searching through the forums and have found some (potentially) great info, sucj as Process Explorer, AutoRuns, Win XP Tweak Guide, and plenty more - If I could just get my system to break into a faster mode, I would be able to look into these supports, but until then, it's almost impossible.

I have already run HJT and Smitfraud (yes, ...in safe mode !!) which was really quite pointless as I have no idea how to interpret them. If these logs are required, then it's no problem.

I have just now received a Detect and repair for Mic Office which I rarely use. AND, now my keyboard is playing up - backtab types letters and whilst I type, the letters are slow to appear.

Oh dear I do believe that I am in a fair amount of complicated tech info coming my way! I just don't understand what is going on. But please, be gentle if you reply to me by using good old laymans terms.

Some system info:

(Home/Private computer)
System: Mic Win XP Prof V.2002 SP2
Processor: Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
704MB of RAM
Connection" ADSL Router
Network Adaptor: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet

Defrag has finally finished and I only have 17% C drive space free. Most of the files that could not be fragmented were system files.

This simple post has taken me over an hour to get done. it's crazy, and I feel that I am on the very edge of going mad myself!

So please, help me,. I have done all that I am capable of doing, and now I must hand over to the wizards!

Thank You!

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

Hi there.
I'm sure the guys here would like to see the results of HJT. Don't worry, we know what it all means :thumbsup:

My own advice is that your disk is probably too full. Only 17% disk space left is not an awful lot.
A certain amount of disk space is required in order for your computer to move things around so when it starts running low it can do less things at once.

I'd recommend running Disk Cleanup:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

This will help you remove unnecessary files and archive some old ones to free up space.

To answer your question: virtual space may be referring to virtual memory - a section of your hard disk that Windows uses as if it were RAM. This too is linked to you running out of disk space.

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

HJT log to follow in next post.

Hi and thanks for your response. However, I run CCleaner every day, Disk Cleanup twice a week , and same for defrag.

How do I access the Virtual Memory and free up space?

It seems that no matter how often I clean up etc, it really doesn't free up much space. Having said that, about two weeks ago I was down to only 5% and continous work got me finally up to 17%.

I have just taken a look into the task manager - there are 41 processes running. Most of them I know and the files are small. Maybe this lot is taking up way too much free space. Can I change/delete ...??

Others (Known but Big)

Outlook 49,000k
firefox 37,000
Explorer 14,000
TeaTimer (spybot) 11,000
Winword 31,000

Possible Spyware / Trojans etc. I have searched into the following and the result is that they mirror a microsoft file, but are trojans.

wuauclt.exe 6,000

sychost - 5 entries under systems and local total space 52,000

Does anyone else have info on my previous post. ??I work from home so need my computer the whole time, so PLEASE!!! if you can, .... Thanks

#4 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

HJT Log.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 04:49:40, on 2007/01/04
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\sm56hlpr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\ADSL Monitor\ADSL Monitor.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Tash\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {206E52E0-D52E-11D4-AD54-0000E86C26F6} - C:\PROGRA~1\FRESHD~1\FRESHD~1\fdcatch.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: FreshDownload Bar - {ED0E8CA5-42FB-4B18-997B-769E0408E79D} - C:\PROGRA~1\FRESHD~1\FRESHD~1\fdiebar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Protection Bar - {0D045BAA-4BD3-4C94-BE8B-21536BD6BD9F} - C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Object\iesplugin.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMSERIAL] sm56hlpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue Quick Access] "C:\Program Files\ProcessLibrary\qaccess.exe" /startup
O4 - Startup: ADSL Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\ADSL Monitor\ADSL Monitor.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Dogpile Cursor Search - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Infospace\DogpileToolbar\contextsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2006\\AddUrl.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet Wizard - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2006\\Wizard.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Parse with LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2006\\Parser.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: FreshDownload - {E22E4B9C-30CA-4614-9BFE-77E6903D62D8} - C:\Program Files\FreshDevices\FreshDownload\fd.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as...rl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990200-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as...trl/tgctlsi.cab
O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/as...trl/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.safety.live.com/resource/d...lscbase8460.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1134130526781
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

Few areas worth looking at in addition to those mentioned above:

- You definitely need more space on the drive, and when you defragment the drive check and report how badly fragmented is "free space"
- Considering the file error you mentioned in the first post, the drive itself might be in a bit of trouble
- The applications you listed need stay; you may close one (outlook) when you use another (word) but that's likely inconvenient. These are not the things that hurt you, in my opinion
- wuauclt and one instance of svchost have to do with the Windows/Microsoft automatic update. Now that's the biggest time hog of all. It clobbers the computer when auto updates are set to anything but Automatic or totally off. This update pest reads lots of files at startup, and certainly more that once in 24 hours taking the computer down for 5-10 minutes at a time. Microsoft has a hot fix for it, but you have to beg'm to get it.
- Virtual Memory can be accessed and changed, but it's best to let the system do it, in my opinion.
- The system is telling you that Virtual memory is too small. That's most likely because you have only 17% free space on disk. I believe that's exavctly where Virtual memory (aka Swap file) goes -- I'm sure I'll be corrected if this is wrong.
- You have Symantec AntiVirus - is that just for scans or is it running all the time, likely conflicting with AVG? Just throw Symantec away, you don't need it.
- TeaTimer from Spybot is great. BUT if some feature of AVG (which I don't know) is trying to do the same thing at the same time, you have conflicts galore, and slowdown definitely follows. So try turning off TeaTimer for a while and watch things.
- Is Windows defender an anti-virus thing? If so, that's another place for serious contention to occur - with AVG antivirus. Keep one anti-virus. Turn off the other. Never run two at the same time. Of course I do not know whether you just have them and what runs all the time, as I'm not a reader of HJT - so forgive me if wrong guessing here.
- I would shut off QuickTime and RealPlayer services from running at startup, unless you really want them to run all the time.

You should post your Hijack This log in the HJT section of this forum, so that HJT experts can examine and advise. In that post please include a link to this thread, so you won't have to repeat our very sad and inconvenient for you story :thumbsup:

You have a nice computer, >2gHz, 700+meg RAM is nice, LAN card it good, you did not tell how large your harddrive is - but whatever the size, 17% free is just too small. You have to offload or zip some things. Disk defragmenter running for an hour does not surprise me one little bit, the only thing that takes longer is Scan disk - on the same menu with defrag.

Edited by tos226, 03 January 2007 - 11:17 PM.

#6 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

this thread might be moved by one of hte admins to the HJT forum itself or it might not depending on the situation at hand so who knwos, post another thread in the HJT forum if one fo the highers ups doesnt' move this or theres no responses from them

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

Just a couple of notes:
1. You have, it seems, a lot of "stuff" on your hard drive. Think seriously about deleting applications you never use, old games, and moving office files and others you have stored to archive disks. Backing up important family pictures or office documents is also a good disaster recovery practice.
2. Review the applications you have launching on startup. Spybot has a very useful application in its TOOLS section that you can use to review and delete any unneeded startups; these all can take some processing resources away from whatever you are focusing on at the moment. You can check each of the entries in the startup tool against the BC Startup list tabbed at the top of this page. This list will tell you if the item is needed, unneeded, or optional.
3. Pick ONE Anti-virus and delete any others, especially if each is provide real-time protection.
4. Read carefully the directions for submitting a HJT log, after you have finished 1-3, and then submit it to our team of experts so they can determine if you have any malware on your computer, and they will guide you through the removal process:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

Hi there.

I can't tell you what a joy it is to have such a detailed response! Not however, that I think it's going to fix my system!! Nothing could be that possible for me!!

Even though it might appear that I have Symantec Antivirus, I don't. I did, but then something happened, and then I didn't. Likewise for Win XP Pro. According to Microsoft Genuine Validation blah blah, mine is not a validated copy, even though I seem to have quite a number of those folders etc? It's a bit of a pain as I can't download updated stuff etc. This is also why I no longer have the Windows Defender. Got any great ideas to potentially solving this problem??!

Ok, so here is where I put on my sweet, coy, pleading :thumbsup: , (begging) face, and emploring eyes, (you will just have to make do with the written version!) How I'm doing so far?? !! Hot fix - well, it better live up to it's name!!

Ok, so wuauclt and the multiple sychost entries. I have just found another one WZCSVC which (says) it configs 802.11 adaptors.

I will check into the possible conflicts between Spybot and AVG

I actuallt don't know what size my hard drive is!! I have already performed many disk. Same with unzipping. All done. cleanups in addition to manually uninstalling bits and pieces and generally getting rid of all the old stuff.

So, as you can see, I have done everything suggested so far. If anyone else has views, opinions, tips & tricks, etc, I would LOVE to hear them
-
Oh, and one more problem I have found. When opening Control Panel for example, the system has to perform a search with that annoying flash light. Is this perhaps an indication of problems?

Here's hoping that my day will be made happier by all your tech advice to cure my system!

#9 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:57 AM

run this to get rid of symantec or norton whatever you ahve, should terminate and unisntall all components

to find out your harddrive size just go into my computer and right click on the drive (usually C:) and go to properties, a little pie chart should come up saying what you have that's used and what's free and the full amount of the two

as far as the searching for control pannel thing, No, that's not a bad sign of anything dooming your computer, just means its running slower than it should be

and wow... I had a whole thing written out then I realized someone already said it.. time for me to mindlessly move away from the computer..... getting late in my head >.<

run a disk defragment if you haven't, to free up some space if you can

If all else fails, I heard taking piece of c4 to your case usually does the trick, But that's just rumors :thumbsup: haha

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

41 processes running isn't all that much. And you don't have that many O4 entries in your HJT log (that's the startups). We'll need to know the type and speed of your processor and how much RAM that you have. Here's a free program that will give this (and a whole bunch more): http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
Hardware is listed on the bottom of the list in the left hand pane.

wuauclt.exe is Windows Update

sychost - 5 entries under systems - I have 7 svchost.exe's running on my system. Neither of the above is really a concern due to the scans that you've done (but it is still a possible issue if detailed troubleshooting is needed).

Some tests to do:
1) Go into Task Manager and select the Performance tab. There's a graph that shows CPU and another that shows Pagefile usage - what are they reading (approximately since they bounce around). Next, in the lower right side of the window is a Physical Memory table - what is the Total and the Available?

2) Check your Event Viewer for error messages. Here's a link about this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hi John. It seems that no matter what problem I post, you are always there with great informative info and downloads! Thank you.

Please note that all of the problems that occuring have not displayed error messages as such.

Event Viewer Results: (I have not included other errors with the same name or number)

APPLICATIONS
Error 2007/01/03 18:04:08 Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A
Error 2007/01/03 04:22:10 MsiInstaller None 11920
Error 2007/01/02 19:39:40 LoadPerf None 3011 N/A
Error 2007/01/02 19:35:50 Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A

SYSTEM
Error 2007/01/04 16:59:37 IPNATHLP None 30013 N/A
Error 2007/01/04 06:31:03 DCOM None 10005 SYSTEM
Error 2007/01/04 06:00:30 Service Control Manager None 7026 N/A
Error 2007/01/04 06:00:30 Service Control Manager None 7001 N/A NA

System: Mic Win XP Prof V.2002 SP2
Processor: Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
704MB of RAM
Connection" ADSL Router
Network Adaptor: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet

Local Disk:
Total Capacity - 37.26GB
Used: 10.33 GB

TASK BAR:
Physical memory: Total 719344
Available 402312
Cache 253264
PF Usage : 516MB
CPU - can't really provide that as system basically went mad a few days ago.

Is there anything else that you would suggest? I have just done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, but am still only at 17% . And this was after performing actions suggested in replies to this posts from other members.

Have gotta admit that I am feelin very frustrated with my lack of knowledge, patience and this damn computer !!!

Oh, quick question. The processor (fan, I think) is very loud, and which stops when I close all applications windows etc etc. Why is this? The noise drives me mental!!!

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

#12 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:34 PM

First thing I would do is open the case up and physically check the fan noise. If it is the processor fan going bad (sleeve or ball bearing) or it is just clogged with dust either replace it or clean the dust out of the fan/heatsink. If the processor is getting too hot it will slow down the PC.

Second, defrag the drive in Safe mode. That way programs will not be running and the drive can be defragged more completely. I think what you are seeing (17%) is that the drive isn't completely defragged and not that you have 17% space left.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 04 January 2007 - 04:36 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#13 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

wuauclt.exe is Windows Update

sychost - 5 entries under systems - I have 7 svchost.exe's running on my system. Neither of the above is really a concern due to the scans that you've done (but it is still a possible issue if detailed troubleshooting is needed).

Usasma, you've helped me before more than I can imagine. So I'd thought you won't mind if I bring this issue back, as I've debugged and documented it, and am in the process of getting the hot fix (they changed password before I downloaded the fix) - it affects SOME people, MS isn't yet sure which people: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089
I have four coworkers suffering the same fate, and many, many do not, so we've been comparing notes. I'm not the only one, so while it normally should not be of concern, it's something to keep in mind.

I suspect that in this case, defragmentation failed as Terrorist75 says, if it wasn't done in safe mode.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

1. Low on Virtual Space (what is this??)

Virtual space is your page-file or swap file. How much space do you have set for your pagefile? How much RAM do you have?

41 running processes may not be much if you have 512 MB of RAM or more, but it is way too much if you have 256 MB RAM as I do.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:25 AM

I personally have a really loud fan, well not REALLY loud but loud enough to notice it among everything, And I have gotten comments about it when Im on Ventrillo using my mic, and my problem is some of hte blades broke off, During accidental mental cleaning encounters, which gave it its spunk as of right now

if its not your CPU fan, and its like an outside fan on the case that may not be needed, I would possibly, POSSIBLY unplug it, if its not needed that is,

Say its a fan on the side of your case going buzz, And your computer is running at a safe enough temperature, Then Id consider taking it out, But if its a CPU fan or something liek that, You're out of luck, Just play loud music, And enjoy not hearing it while you can :thumbsup:

the reason it may turn on turn off in teh loud cases, is when its really needed its probably getting loud, When its not needed, ITs a litlte quieter, just something that may put to ease as to why its happneing that way

And don't be frustrated with your lack of knowledge, Remember, everyone one of us started out like you :flowers: its a learning process, And it takes time, Im going on 4 years of hardcore (10 hour a day) computer use, And I have barely learned enough to make say 10 posts a day on these forums :trumpet: but Im working on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users