Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building System

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Charred

Charred

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

Might a newcomer impose on the members to review my list of parts for a new computer?

I would like to know if these parts work together compatibly. I'm not very clever in this regard, so did I even start out right with a case and motherboard? Power supply? Video card? What would work? Better choices? I am somewhat over budget, so a little help would be appreciated.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishli...tNumber=4657706

Comments please. As you will see when you click the link, I am a non-gamer, but do record TV movies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

Nice.

My suggestions are to change to a Nvidia 7600series or ATI X1600 series video card, and to add 2 more 80 G HDDs and setup in a RAID 5

Also check this antec power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103937

Edited by oldf@rt, 03 January 2007 - 05:13 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:49 AM

Get an ATI All-in-Wonder card. You won't be needing such a high-end graphics card if you don't plan on gaming.

Also, 80 GB is just too small for today's needs.

Get a 320Gb Seagate HD. They're cheap, fast, and damn well worth it.

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:10 AM

First thing you should know about asking opinions, Everyone has a favorite company,

Doesn't matter really which video card brand you go with, ATI, or nvidia, They both are comparable, and they both work extremely well, So know that before you start changing up your cards to waht peopel suggest
I use nvidia and as you can see on the two before me, they're ATI fans, but in the end they're both the same basically few minor differences here and there, Namely there have been some questions raised about ATI's Driver stability, But, That's another thing entirely...

When I built my computer, Id idnt' worry about case, or anything like that I worked from motherboard out,

You did very well in chosing your parts, For a newcomer :thumbsup: Very well in deed

I will side with the other 2 in saying, 80 gigs in todays world just isnt' enough

I wouldnt' go balls to teh walls with buying 3 harddrives or a 400 giger or anything like that

I personally have 200 and I have like 10 games intalled on here with a lot of other misc things and Im running with maybe like 50 gigs to spare, (I could uninstall a ton of programs, Lazy...) so 320 gigs is not entirely needed,

however, If you are planning on recording A LOT of tv movies, then yea, Id go with 320, But 200 should do well

I almsot thought you bought 2 powersupplies and I was about to go ?!?!?!? then I realized it was just a backup

one question resides though, Do you have any experience in putting thi sall together? or is someone doing it for you? :huh:

just a question

#5 Charred

Charred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

oldf@rt
Also check this antec power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103937

I looked at that one and saw that the reviewers complained about squealing. Does yours run quiet?

resp

I currently have an ATI Card in a 4-5 year old computer with which I have had no problem; however, in looking around for this build I have noticed that the stability problem is abound. Hopefully ATI will correct any problems before I build this so that I will have a choice. That said I have wanted to try a nvidia for a while and may do it in my current machine soon.

Detox

I'm sure you are right on that I do not need a high end card and I am looking for a replacement. As to the HDD, I should have mentioned that I have two 120 GB eide WDs that I could use for storing the movies until I edit and then put on DVDs.

resp

one question resides though, Do you have any experience in putting this all together? or is someone doing it for you?

No experience at all, first time around. :thumbsup: Basically, I am looking at this http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12410887?r=856 and this http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Bu...pict213393.html

As I said before, I need all the help I can get. :huh: Suggestions appreciated.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:11 PM

I would go with a larger PSU, this will allow you to add on later, 430W is not that large now days.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

You don't need the Arctic Silver 5. You get thermal compound with the retail processor.

Also, unless you are absolutely, completely, totally sure you'll never need more hard drive space getting a bigger drive would be a good idea. The 80GB hard drives are expensive in a $/GB way of looking at it. You could get four times the size at twice the price.

Also the Barracuda 7200.10 series performs better than the Barracuda 7200.9 in DVR type situations.

According to Microsoft ATI AMD has better (as in more stable) drivers than nVIDIA.

You might want to put some thought into getting Vista Home Premium, with Media Center, which you might find useful.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:05 PM

The first thing, that I learned, THe hard way about building a computer, is attaching the Heatsink/fan for your CPU is an extremely big pain, Cause you have to be careful not to push too hard, but at the same time its pretty hard to put in So be warned about that

you could honestly go about building your computer entirely off the manuals themselves, That's how I learned how it went, I looked through my mobo manual and my psu manual etc, And I got everything attached, Granted I did have some help from my friend..not going to lie about that

and one thing I can say for sure, Get some plastic ties (not quite sure the actual formal name) because as you will find out, once you have gotten the motherboard in place and you start the power supply attachments, It gets REALLY UGLY so be wary of that and invest in some ties to tie off the connections to anyhwere you can, Or tie them together to avoid having things hanging around loosely

The hardest part of putting it all together I found, other than the Heatsink for the CPU, was actually putting all the smaller connectors together, And there is a manual for that, It'll tell you what goes where etc, But still for a first time user its painstaking and you don't' want to screw it up

AS far as the static guard wristband, its not needed Per say, You can simply ground yourself with metal such as a door handle, or anything metal around you that's accessible, just make sure you're not rubbing your legs against the floor while you're moving around, Obviously...

For a new comer you might find the case that you picked to be really tricky to navigate parts in and out, that's just my opinion from the views that newegg gives me to look at, since your PSU is going to be on the bottom and not the top, That might be a little difficult at first, Just a warning

Hooking up your drives is easier than almost anything else, next to doing ram and such,

all they require is an IDE cable in (the big one) and a psu connector, And that's it, Well for CD/DVD drives for hard drives they have a little different connectors

your ram, I'm going to recommend to you, PUt it in slots 1/3 or 2/4 to maximize the dual channel effectiveness, Meaning for your board, put them either both in black, or both in yellow

video card is a simple install, And there should be a connector that it comes with to hook it up to the PSU, just make sure that its in the right PCI-E 16x slot

as far as your harddrives go, install wise, I think you're going to have to use screws for that, Not 100% sure, I know with mine I got the plastic slot inserters that you put on the sides for easy install and take out, But they weren't compatible with my harddrive bay, So I ended up screwing them in,
Theres going to be some metal that just bends off , And some that you have to screw off, Just be sure which, And make use of everything that you have, Including the screws for your mobo I think that's about it

if theres any formal questoins come back and tell us

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

mine runs quiet.

looked at that one and saw that the reviewers complained about squealing. Does yours run quiet?

I suggested the 3 HDDs and raid 5 for increased data transfer speeds, and data redundancy because of the statement that you were doing video, plus your mainboard only lists one ide channel. most of the time it is only used for optical drives. If you put an IDE HDD on the same channel as an optical your data transfer speeds will be SSLLOOWW
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users