Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Am I Slow?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

Well lately my computer seems to be slow so I went and cleaned a ton of stuff up. I am the kind of person who when they see a cool picture they save it. So I cleaned up 95% of my pictures (my heart broke when I pressed delete, felt like a part of me died!) and all of the music I have saved off the internet I deleted that (did I delete those properly, when I saved a music file off of the internet I saved it to desktop, then I put it in a folder like "Oldies" and there it stayed. When I deleted those did I delete the whole file?). So I went from about 1.5GB on my hard drive to 6.81GB. So I guess to sumarize it all, I deleted a crap load of stuff! So people dont have any questions ill post my specs here. Could you also please tell me what I can do to update and improve my computer for a minimial amount of money? People at an American store chain called Best Buy told me I am pretty much at a brick wall and cannot do much.

------------------
System Specs
------------------

~OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
~Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
~OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
~System Model GP7-500
~System Type X86-based PC
~Processor x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~497 Mhz
~BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. 4W4SB0X0.15A.0015.P10, 9/28/1999
~SMBIOS Version 2.1
~Total Physical Memory 192.00 MB
~Available Physical Memory 80.11 MB
~Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
~Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
~Page File Space 482.84 MB

---------------------
Graphics (Display)
---------------------

~Name NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)
~Adapter Type RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro, NVIDIA compatible
~Adapter Description NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)
~Adapter RAM 16.00 MB (16,777,216 bytes)
~Driver Version 6.14.10.5673
~INF File nv4_disp.inf (nv4 section)
~Color Planes 1
~Color Table Entries 4294967296
~Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
~Bits/Pixel 32

--------
Sound
--------

~Name Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
~Manufacturer Creative

~Name Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
~Manufacturer Microsoft
(Does this mean I have two sound cards?)

Edited by tiverty, 03 January 2007 - 12:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

After cleaning the junk off your hard drive, did you run checkdisk and then defrag?
By "slow" do you mean whilst surfing the net, or running applications, or both?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

Just went and looked up your machine on crucial:

looks like you need more memory

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=GP7%2D500

you could add another 256 total by removing 64 and adding 2 128 pieces for about $50.00

Edited by oldf@rt, 03 January 2007 - 03:11 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

mostly my internet runs slower but some of my programs seem to run slow also... i have not done defrag but ill do that now and post on affect. Thanks also old f@rt for your advice. Would you be 100% shure my computer could handle that? I was told that with my hard drive i cant go above 80GB

#5 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hard drive unless Im mistaken has nothing to do with how much memory you can handle

your motherboard is the actual decider in that, and if the specs say it can handle more, it'll handle no problem

#6 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:52 PM

I think more memory would definitely help. Windows alone can chew through 256Mb RAM.

#7 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

Check off each part of these suggestions. Especially "cleanup system restore".

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:33 AM

Your computer may be at the end of it's lifespan, but there are still things that you can do to "pep" it up.

Try the suggestions above to help it out. You should see significant improvements with the increase in RAM alone - but it's the startups and services that'll actually slow the system down. Try this link for some more suggestions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

I wonder where you downloaded music from. If it was from websites like itunes, Napster or Rhapsody you are probably ok, but if it was Limewire or Kazaa or some similar peer to peer site then you are most likely infected - and as a result your computer would run slow.

I would definetly add more ram, though, for the reasons already stated. This is the first step.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

i download music off of sites not like the ones you listed. Ill go to singingfish.com and search for audio or altavista and search for audio. Its hard to find music but i dont need to download a program to get them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users