Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Backup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roxana19

Roxana19

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hello,

I need to upgrade from Windows Me to Windows Xp, anyone can please tell me how can I backup everything in Outlook Express for an easy restore after reinstalling Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

Welcome to BC ;) Would this do the trick?

#3 Roxana19

Roxana19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:41 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I did some searches on the net and found a program that does what I want:
Outlook Express Backup Genie

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

In the freeware section on page 5 there is a free version of PIM Manager. I tried and it has all the features you want

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

I've used backup programs and they all work pretty good. Check your personal account settings to make sure all have restored properly. Sometimes some things don't.

Most of these programs will advise you to re-create your account(s), just the name part, and open your Inbox once to "set" it before restoring to a new install of Windows.

For me, I seem to have problems with a fresh install of Windows since I have 4 OE accounts to restore. I know this is overkill, but I will also keep a backup of my Identities folder. If anything goes wrong, then I at least have all of my folders and messages that I can manually copy and paste into my accounts or use OE's import from another store identity. Then I just set everything else again from scratch.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:45 PM

Well you need to do a search for *.dbx these are all the files used by OutLook Express. In my Win98 there are in Windows\Application Data\Identities\{CF463520-99A5-11DB-AA4E-BC1AFF6F2B6B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Just right-click on the Outlook Express folder and Add to Outlook Express.zip. Then you can just put this zip file onto a Flash Drive and unzip to a folder and import it into Outlook Express once WinXP is installed. You will need to do the same for your Address Book, Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.

Your {CF463520-99A5-11DB-AA4E-BC1AFF6F2B6B} folder may have different numbers/letters. :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 10 February 2007 - 08:46 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users