Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows (your System Has Recovered From A Serious Error) Warning.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

Last night i started up AVG Antispyware to scan my PC. It had just about finished scanning having found 22 tracking cookies of medium threat when my PC crashed and on restart I got the message Windows couldn't start normally on a black screen with the options to start from Safe Mode to Last Known Good Configuration. I chose last known good configuration but on restart got the same screen again.

This time I directed the cursor to start in safe mode and it did. In safe mode I then started up AVG Antispyware and this time it completed the scan normally and found the same 22 tracking cookies which I then deleted. I exited AVG and clicked on Restart Computer.

This time my PC rebooted normally but I got a message stating that "The System has recovered from a Serious Error". Then I got a checkbox asking if I wanted to report this error to Microsoft or not. I chose to send the report which then opened up a Microsoft help page online which said that the error in question was a problem with an unspecified driver or drivers on my machine.

My question now is can anyone advise me how do I find and repair the faulty driver?.

Again thanks in advance for any help offered you guys 'n gals are just great finding the time to help unteckie oldies like me.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:11 AM

Go to START RUN type eventvwr and look for red crosses in either of the section and post them here..

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

Mini-Guide on Event Viewer:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Mini-Guide on finding Error Messages:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

I followed the instructions about event viewer and came up with the following.

In Applications there were 7 errors marked red. These 7 all had the Event ID 1000.

(1) Faulty application Firefox exe, version 1.8.20061.20418. faulting module ntdll.dll version 5.1.2600.2180
fault address 0x000111e0.

(2) same info as (1) with different fault address 0x0001f378

(3) same info as (1) but faulting module js3250.dll,version 4.0.0.0. fault address 0x0004a797.

(4) same as (1) but faulting module Firefox.exe and fault address 0x0001b6a6.

(5) same as (1) but faulting module ntdll.dll and fault address 0x000106c3.

(6) same as (1) but fault bucket 360532761.

(7) same as (1) but fault module js3250.dll, version 4.0.0.0, fault address 0x00020dc2.

In System I found the following red marked errors.

(1) Rasman.
Error: Event ID 20035
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. restart the
Computer. Access denied.

(2) Service Control Manager.
Error: Event ID 7023
The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error Access is Denied.

These two came with a link to Microsoft which explained the problem but I don't really understand the technical stuff so well.
The address was http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Appreciate you guys help with this.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the error messages! Does the time of the error messages correspond to the time of the crashes? If not, I'd suggest forcing a crash and then seeing what you can find.

I'd suggest first uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest version of Firefox.

The Access Denied error is of more concern tho' - depending on your system settings this could be normal, or it could be a serious problem. Have you blocked or disabled the Remote Access Connection Manager with any program or action? If so, then something's trying to launch it and failing (this is a good thing if it's a virus or spyware).

I'd suggest trying this free online scan as a double check: http://safety.live.com/ I've recently seen some antivirus solutions that appear to be working, but actually aren't - and that was caused by viruses on the system that had escaped detection.

Try going to this page (scroll down to the bottom of it) and download the eicar.com file: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm It's a harmless file that acts like a virus in order to check your system.

If your computer doesn't find it, then there's a problem with your antivirus. But, this still doesn't mean that you're OK - because some of the viruses may have anticipated this check and may be able to counter it.

If the online scan doesn't work properly, we'll have to try other scans.

Edited by usasma, 04 January 2007 - 08:22 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hi Usasma, thanks for the reply. I did the Windows Live one care scan on January 1st. and it fixed some registry items advised me to defrag my PC but found no malware etc. I defragged that same day.

I will uninstall / reinstall firefox as recommended.

I had a closer look at the Rasman thing in event viewer systems and what it seems to be is a block of 4 commands starting with:

(1) Source : Rasman
Event ID:20035
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer.
Access is denied.

(2) Source : Service Control Manager.
Event ID: 7035
Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start control.

(3) Source : Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7036
The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the stopped state.

(4) Source : Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7023
Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the followig error. Access is denied.

Numbers 1 & 4 are errors marked with a white cross in a red circle, numbers 2 & 3 are information marked with a blue i in a round speech balloon. There are marked 2702 events although this is probably infinite as the sequence is continually repeating every 30 secs. and it looks to me as if it only holds the previous 2702 events at a time.

What exactly is the Remote Access Connection Manager and how would I find out if something is blocking it.

I checked out the false virus link you gave but it said that it could be hard to get rid of the download again as my AntiVirus program will see it as a threat. Is it safe to try.

Could this be a Firewall problem. I use Comodo Firewall, AVG Antivirus, AVG Antispyware, Spywareblaster as security on my PC. I uninstalled SpyBot S&D and Adaware due to a conflict with AVG and as they hadn't found anything on my PC for some time while AVG Antispyware found 61 tracking cookies straight away.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:54 AM

There is a reason that the Remote Access Connection is being blocked - what we have to figure out is why.

Do you have SP2? SP1 may have problems in this area: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329441

You can check the Remote Access Connection service in the Services applet from the Run dialog (Start...Run...type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and then press Enter - scroll down and find this particular service among all the Remote services). If it's disabled, that may be issue. If it's not disabled, check the dependencies tab (right click and select Properties) to see if any of the dependent services aren't running). This presumes that there's no unknown program trying to access the service.

You may have to reinstall the RAS service: https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...7.mspx?mfr=true
You can do this by going to your network connection and adding the service

Finally, most errors of this sort point to updates for various programs and the OS. Others point to system restores and reinstall problems. Could any of them apply to you?

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

My system when new was Windows XP Home Edition XP1. I updated to SP2 soon after it came out and it is still SP2.

About 3mths ago I had a problem with my PC which couldn't open Windows. My son who was home on leave at the time and is the "family PC expert" came over and tried to do a repair but we couldn't as Windows said that the version of Windows installed was newer than the one on the disc. It ended with he had to reformat my harddrive and install Windows SP1 and then get all available updates in order to update to SP2. So everything on the PC has been reinstalled approx 3mths ago.

4 or 5 times on startup I have had the message a registry file was missing and had been recovered successfully from a back up but if it is being recovered successfully why does it keep happening.

Something else that may mean something is I updated my ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card to the latest drivers which is something called "Catalyst Control Centre". When I restart my PC, all the items on my task bar come up quickly except for the ATI icon which hangs and it seems like it isn't going to load but then does.

I will check out the things you have mentioned in your post and let you know if I find something. Thanks again for your time.
bluesjunior.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:44 AM

I just checked what you said in "sevices.msc" and it is manual start up. On the dependancies tab it says it is for telephony and as I don.t have a phone attached to my PC could this possibly be something?.

Everything on services.msc was either Automatic or Manual except something called alerter which was disabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users